DFM disabler released

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K5-Z71

Reaction score
I was wondering about this - putting it in “Sport” or “Trailer” should disable the DFM?

Also my truck is new 2024 and I haven’t been able to detect any noises or shudder when the DFM activates. My boat with a 4-stroke Yamaha had a problem with the injectors and 2 of the 6 cylinders would “deactivate” intermittently and I could definitely hear it and feel the engine shudder until all cylinders kicked in.

There’s no user configuration which will disable DFM in these trucks ie sport, trailer, L9.

Apples and oranges between a Yammy v6 and these v8’s both in the method used to drop cylinders and primary / secondary balance effects.

Little evidence to show this is a modification to improve reliability of the system but it sure feels good to partially disable it.

BacDoc

Reaction score
L9 is the only way to disable.
I didn’t feel it with mine until about 5000 miles in. I hated AFM and thought wow the DFM is way better, and then I started feeling the lugging, vibration, etc just as bad if not worse than AFM. Not a fan.

With that said, wife’s blazer with the v6 drops cylinders and it’s not noticeable…
My truck is 2024 6.2l and only has 6k miles now.

I turn radio off and listen for a variety of rpm/ speed ranges and I have never heard or felt anything. I always turn off auto stop as that’s not really bad but no question when it is on, the stop and start is very annoying. Plus my wife is very sensitive and she would feel the pea in the 100 mattresses and she hasn’t noticed any thing lol!

I have a hard time believing that the DFM would engage in tow mode. Think that would have a higher failure rate.

Has any one reported engine failure/lifter issues with towing? I haven’t seen any on this forum.

nick14226

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There’s no user configuration which will disable DFM in these trucks ie sport, trailer, L9.

Apples and oranges between a Yammy v6 and these v8’s both in the method used to drop cylinders and primary / secondary balance effects.

Little evidence to show this is a modification to improve reliability of the system but it sure feels good to partially disable it.
L9 disables DFM, it’s in a service bulletin for troubleshooting and I can tell you it does. I don’t like the way it drives in L9 though, and losing 10th gear isn’t ideal either.

Right, but I’m saying there’s no vibration or lugging when the v6 drops cylinders. I don’t think the system belongs in v8’s, heavier vehicles, or whatever other variables are at play.

Doubt it helps reliability in terms of lifters, but overall happiness of an engine that lugs vs one that doesn’t, time will tell but I think it could help. It’s a drivability thing for me though more than anything.

BacDoc

Reaction score

Exactly right! Yamaha v6 is different but I can definitely notice the cylinder deactivation of 2/6. That’s the point I was trying to make. I never feel or hear anything from the Tahoe.

It’s not subtle and the engine didn’t sustain damage and compression was equal in all cylinders when mechanic checked it. I’m sure if I kept running it eventually I’d have engine failure.

nick14226

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is 2024 6.2l and only has 6k miles now.

I turn radio off and listen for a variety of rpm/ speed ranges and I have never heard or felt anything. I always turn off auto stop as that’s not really bad but no question when it is on, the stop and start is very annoying. Plus my wife is very sensitive and she would feel the pea in the 100 mattresses and she hasn’t noticed any thing lol!

I have a hard time believing that the DFM would engage in tow mode. Think that would have a higher failure rate.

Has any one reported engine failure/lifter issues with towing? I haven’t seen any on this forum.
It engages in tow mode, L9 is the only way to disable in stock form.

BacDoc

Reaction score
It engages in tow mode, L9 is the only way to disable in stock form.
Well I maybe give the GM engineers too much credit. I would think enabling DFM in tow mode - that sets the engine up for failure. Higher temperatures and load on motor would seem like lugging a manual transmission.

Towing puts a lot of stress on motor and I tow 6500lbs couple times a month and mostly on a 10 mile stretch at 50 mph on cruise control. So far I haven’t heard or felt anything. 6.5k is not max but at cruise Im sure the DFM would kick in?

nick14226

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I maybe give the GM engineers too much credit. I would think enabling DFM in tow mode - that sets the engine up for failure. Higher temperatures and load on motor would seem like lugging a manual transmission.

Towing puts a lot of stress on motor and I tow 6500lbs couple times a month and mostly on a 10 mile stretch at 50 mph on cruise control. So far I haven’t heard or felt anything. 6.5k is not max but at cruise Im sure the DFM would kick in?
May not drop cylinders when you’re towing depending on weight, grade, speed, etc, but it’s not disabled in tow mode for this gen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigBoyZ71