Another gas mileage thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i dont see it either its wierd i have a 2005 dodge ram daytona (yes the wing adds 200 rwhp =)) with the 5.7 hemi now that truck weighs 5400 pounds so how come my newer more feul effiecent <--- cant spell tonight- lighter truck only gets 17 on the highway ? this is much lighter than my yukon i think the best ive ever done was 18 an that was goin from the mountains in nc to willmington (downhill) the whole way .....basically :shocked:

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What size tanks do we have? 26 or 30 gallon?
For some reason I thought we had 26 gallon tanks.

thirsty1258

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen 21 mpg with cruise control at 65mph in a flat highway. I think it depends on how good the gas is too.

sent from my thunderbolt

19Yukon97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing here... The two trucks that i said (duramax and dodge) that was put in there as to say its achievable to get better gas mileage out of something that doesnt get good gas mileage to start off with. MFDF.

Yesterday... Me and three buddies (that go to wyotech, so we know cars) were all together and i needed to fill up. pull in the station trucks just about completely empty... i fill up 26 gallons later... and 95$ out of the debit... i go to check my mileage becasue im always doing that since im modding and all kinds of things at school... 4 people get 21mpg... The trip says 553. so 553 divided by 26 EQUALS 21.27... you sir need to go back to 1st grade math.25.38 miles. if i was getting 660 a tank it would be roughly 25.38 mpg...

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Tahoes are 30 gallons 2 or 4wd.

BTW, stresst's number is based on a 30 gallon tank use and yours a 26 gallon fill-up. your 21.27 times the gallons you put is about 553 but if you did 30 gallons fill-up you would be at about 638 for a tank with a useable capacity of 30. You need to account for differences in the way that variables are applied.

One other thing when using trip computers it is important to not that the variables entered have to be precise and the first few tank mileage reading will be not completely accurate. The average MPG will improve after several tanks of correct entries of gallons and miles used. Scan gauge , ultra gauge whatever.

The math skills argument was not warranted and seriously does not belong here.

Last edited:

Jaycenk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And neither does most. I love it when guys post this crap. How can a truck get more mpg then advertised on a window sticker (16mpg)??? I never owned a car that got more mpg then sticker! And im talking 25+ cars 75% were new. I think people's math skills are not as sharp as they think. JMHO

So with the numbers you provided you drove 400 miles with 3/4 of a tank?? I dont care how skinny your tires are its not happening!

Wow ok mpg’s are estimates not factual back then so in reality you can. I got 11mpg out of mine towing a boat on the interstate in 3rd (A4) with 3.23 rear and over a 155k on the clock. I don't doubt you could get 19 or 20 out of a good running truck even if it's loaded up. I had my boat loaded and the truck absolutely packed. When you find the right speed/rpm it will make the mileage.

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

i dont see it either its wierd i have a 2005 dodge ram daytona (yes the wing adds 200 rwhp =)) with the 5.7 hemi now that truck weighs 5400 pounds so how come my newer more feul effiecent <--- cant spell tonight- lighter truck only gets 17 on the highway ? this is much lighter than my yukon i think the best ive ever done was 18 an that was goin from the mountains in nc to willmington (downhill) the whole way .....basically :shocked:

Well do some reading on the new hemi. They had problems getting it to burn enough of the fuel mix to pass emisions so thats why they use two spark plugs in each cylinder of the head. also Doge EFI tunes Suck. Dodge will tell you this. They retune the 6.1 srt8 cars all the time and make good gains on tunes alone. The lead enginer said in an article I read a while back that dodge left alot on the table when they came up with the tune on the 6.1 and when they did the 6.4 they made sure to work on the mid range power in the tune. My 2002 4.7 Quad cab ram got 19.5 on the interstate with 3.55 rear and 20inch tires.

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off the only way to clock mileage is to fill the tank, drive & clock the mileage, then refill and do the math. You cannot use stand alone units. Or instant mileage features on the dash. There were times that my Acura was showing 40+ mpg on the dash when in reality is was about half.

Back to the ultra guage, how do you know its within 1/2 mpg? Im assuming thats sarcasm when you say @ 55mph your tahoe gets 25mpg??

Ok, first things first, I am educated and have been an ASE Master tech since 1991. While I fix the machines that make microchips now and I am not a current tech anymore, I know my shit.
Of course I filled the tank to the top for my tests!!! I even used the same station and same pump. I hand calculated with a calculator and compared to the Ultra Gauge. Therefore I know it is accurate. I thought you were reading my posts about it? BTW there are correction factors you enter to match your hand calc to the U-G. So last time I used 2/3 of a tank of mixed driving and the U-G was only .5 mpg off. So YES mine is now calibrated to my truck and is accurate. Therefore if I look at the instant mileage at any time, it is actual.

Getting good steady state mileage is all bout aerodynamics, and being in the engines sweet spot (for your gearing). Add some bolt ons and you can get better. Remember my truck is not stock.
Wait till I tune it and add more cruise timing, and I will get even better mpg.

blizz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use an app on my phone where I enter the miles I had before putting gas in, then enter the gallons put in (to the tenth even) as well as the price per gallon. This thing then gives me precise mpg as well as cost p/g.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968