Any OBS and NBS owners out there want to comment on reliability?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt06Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are both so awesome and reliable. I tell people all the time about how you still see tons of 88-98 GM trucks on the road. But as wonderful as the 5.7 is, the 5.3 is just much smoother and more powerful. The LS engine alone is worth it.

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my 1995 only left me stranded once (fuel pump) and besides regular wear and tear no issues at 255k and change now

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nbs tahoe with either a 4.8 or 5.3 the older obs tahoes with the 5.7 350 are so underpowered i think my v6 for ranger put out more horsepower then that 5.7

Matt06Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No way. My 5.7 Vortec has tons of power. Not as smooth as the LS engines though, and less power at higher rpms. But 5.7 has lots of torque.

davidbeaver1

Reaction score
I had a 97 GMC Yukon XL 4x4 5.7 and we drove it to 154K before we sold it. We put a transmission in it and then started having other issues, but still loved the truck. We traded it for an 01 GMC Yukon XL 4x4 5.3 and haven't looked back. We have owned it over 10 years, it just hit 250K and I drive it everyday. We had a transfer case problem at 103K miles where a bearing went bad and beat a hole in the side of the case causing all of the fluid to leak out. Got it replaced for $1800 and I've done nothing else to it but general maintenance and tires. I can say it has truly been a fantastic truck. We are fixing up a few things on it so I can go another 50K. I don't want another car payment and since I travel for my job, it makes sense to me to mileage up an older vehicle than to buy something new and mileage it up. I drove it from Raleigh to Charlotte and back this week with no issues.

mooman

Reaction score
2003 Yukon SLT. gas and go. During the summer, it is always dragging an 18 1/2 Nitro bass boat. I do keep regular maintenence on it and has yet to fail. Engine and transmission issues are non existent. Instrument lights and buttons are wearing. But over all, best vehicle I have ever owned. Plus it is nearing the 200k mark and still runs new. I can squeal the tires at a stand still DRY.

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of great answers already posted , I would just trust your gut when considering , Mileage , and condition of any vehicle

JoeM5952

Reaction score
I have an 05 with 175K on it, I haven't had it too long but I have only had to swap the water pump the day after I bought it. I love it compared to my Land Rover I had before.

04SS99Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive owned 2 obs trucks and a nbs yukon. from what i dealt with the nbs had way less issues and had more mileage than both the obs trucks. plus the drive is much better