Anyone have a 2009 Tahoe with the 6.2?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt06Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been browsing cars.com and autotrader looking at NNBS's for future replacement for my 2006 and decided I really want the 2009 with the 6.2. Anyone have one? How awesome is it? Seems worth it to me to hold out for a low mileage one. It must be amazing after its been tuned. Were there any others years the 6.2 was available? I don't want a Denali only because I hate being in full time 4wd. Wish they came with selectable transfer case. Thanks!

TowGMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tahoe with the 6.2 will be the exact same drivetrain as a Denali. I'd looked at a used one and for the same money bought my Denali. I believe the GM reasoning is that the regular Tahoe drivetrain can't take the torque of the 6.2 going to just the rear wheels so it's only built with the AWD.

And if you're thinking the non-awd will give better fuel economy, it doesn't in my experience. I rent Tahoes and Yukons almost every week when traveling and typically get 18-19.5mpg on the highway. My Denali does the same with the bigger engine and awd.

mattah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes 2009 was the only year to get the 6.2L. It is not the same as the Denali, it has the mode selector (2HI, AUTO, 4HI & 4LOW).

It would be cool to own once since it is rare to see one.

nytahoe

"Tha Butcha"
Reaction score
i have a 6.2 in my sierra . lots of power but sucks on gas getting 11.8mpg

OP
OP
Matt06Yukon

Matt06Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I don't care about the gas mileage, I just wanna be in 2wd for the 90% of the time I need it. I like real full selection tranfer cases. And the 6.2 is just badass.

TowGMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes 2009 was the only year to get the 6.2L. It is not the same as the Denali, it has the mode selector (2HI, AUTO, 4HI & 4LOW).

It would be cool to own once since it is rare to see one.

Interesting. The one I test drove, an '09 LTZ, had no mode selector. Was full time AWD.

And I get 18-19.5 mpg on the highway with my Denali, running 75-80mph

OP
OP
Matt06Yukon

Matt06Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really? I wouldn't want it in that case. Might as well just get a Denali. I'm looking at one now on Cars.com and it looks like it has the selector to the left of the steering wheel.

Regency

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the amgfast55 guy or something like that has the 09 6.2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Extrememri1

Latest posts