Are cats needed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ocelot

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hello im new to the forums and i just bought a 1997 two door tahoe and i have a question involving my truck running cats. Can you run cats without tripping any codes? Has any one on hear ran there truck with out cats, did you notice a difference in power, mileage, and was there a noticeable amount of noise produce in the cab?

thanks again guys this forum is pretty awesome

destroyer1362

A work in progress
Reaction score
You can run it without cats and you can tune the codes running without them cause out. And get it tuned to run without them. Sound will be a little different, cant describe it, it will definitely smell though. And if your state does the sniffer test ur sol come emission time. imo If you get rid of ur cats do it for a reason, like for installing LT headers or something.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would trip codes and as a result screw up your performance. It also may be illegal where you live.

It's illegal everywhere.

With technology today there is no need to rip off your cats. You can make as much power with them as without.

TahoeTX

Reaction score
You don't want to remove your cats becuase they are required to pass inspection in most states. There isn't much performance gain from removing them anyway and it will make the car run different because it throws the computer off. Cats help burn off excess gas vapor that wasn't burned in the combustion process and it also collects other harmful fumes in the exhaust. It's basically an exhaust filter. Adding a cat back system with an aggressive sounding muffler will give you all the power and sound you want.

Brandon X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're state has emissions then you have to leave them on, if you doesn't, I say it them off. Yes you will throw a code, but it produces slightly more power and it sounds better IMO. Not to mention you can get $50+ for a cat.

OP
OP
ocelot

ocelot

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thanks for your input guys i have no admissions were i live, im just looking to run a new exhaust system(headers back) and wanted to see what is worth my time in money when doing it

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Go performance for the whole thing then. I am planning for Edelbrock shorties, Magnaflow dual cat assy. and flowmaster rear assy.. Will cost about $1300 total and is 50 state legal And the replece each o.e. part by direct bolt on. Can't wait to do it.

nomad

Reaction score
Running without cats

First, you can run without cats and not generate codes. I have helped friends do this (only to have them put them back on for inspection purposes) so I know it works.

That said there is little to gain removing them, first they are flow through and provide little if any back pressure. It's not like the 70's where Chevy used Platinum coated bebe's that were very restrictive. All your doing is subjecting yourself to problems. You would do better changing exhaust manifolds for free flowing headers and set of flow master mufflers.

Unless you live in a place where there is only leaded fuel do yourself a favor and forget removing them!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968