Are cats needed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cut em off lol. i have longtubes and ran pipe from the collector back no cats. got the rear o2 deleted and no code. the emission test does not pick that up. ive gotten two stickers since i did it and no problems at all.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A visual inspection could be a problem even is the truck passes the sniffer test.

destroyer1362

A work in progress
Reaction score
There's always ways around this sort of thing. Buddy of mine just got a $80 inspection, he has not cats. You just need to know the right people and the right places to go..

Jim_Rockford

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Its a federal law ,states have no say, Only thing they can say is if you are going to get a visual or a sniffer test on the inspection but a federal law states you must have cat, As stated before they do not hurt power, Vortec truck cats are pretty much the highest flowing cats around. You gain no power by removing them, And one day when you get caught without em, Its gonna hurt the wallet.

Bad bow tie

Grizz Straight FTMFW
Reaction score
Its a federal law ,states have no say, Only thing they can say is if you are going to get a visual or a sniffer test on the inspection but a federal law states you must have cat, As stated before they do not hurt power, Vortec truck cats are pretty much the highest flowing cats around. You gain no power by removing them, And one day when you get caught without em, Its gonna hurt the wallet.

It may be a federal law, but residents of Michigan do not have to have any sort of emissions/sniffer/visual inspection etc tests whatsoever. That said, if I wanted to cut them, I could and no one would know.

We are the automobile state and don't have to go through any of that emissions ********. :Handshake:

Danny_Z56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say to just get aftermarket highflow cats and a cat back exhaust system.

I once "gutted" the cats on a '98 Crown Vic i had,just for ***** and to see if i seen any performance increase.

Not only did i NOT see any improvement,but it seemed to lack bottom end punch/torque and the car felt like a dog and got shit gas milage....It seemed like i had to give more throttle to get the car to move like it did before i gutted the cats.

I ended up buying a set of used cats from a '99 CVPI and putting them on.Man what a difference....The car felt like it had balls again lol.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love my high flow cats..Magnaflow.

Until I put them on I was blowing out a cat almost once a year

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968