Arlington plant closed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steveo123

Reaction score
Well today was supposed to be start of production for the 2025 models but GM says because of the hurricanes they have a supplier shortage and closed the plant. They also closed the Flint plant for the heavy duty trucks.

Call me a cynic, but I would think they had the parts already in hand to start building the refresh. Make of it what you will.

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a thing called JIT supply- it stands for 'Just In Time'. It, basically, means that companies use OTR trucks as warehouses.

It's not fun being the truck driver if you're hauling one of those loads. The carrier [trucking company] can get way up your butt, and stay there, 'til you've delivered your load. I hauled a few GM loads, back when.

joe

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And that JIT supply means there's no warehouses full of parts for replacements. Couple years down the road and you need an unusual part it's junkyard time. But I suspect non-union N. Carolina does supply a lot of the parts these days and Helene probably shut down a lot of that.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any *factual* updates here?
factual? this isn't fake news the plant is offline currently
I suppose there was no Hurricane either?
I am just surprised that all the people leaving for the current one are able to get gas.
I would not want to be stuck in that traffic ugh......

Oaktree

Reaction score
I was at the GMC dealer last Friday and they just received 5 or 6 ‘24s. I’m guessing they were cringing. A little delay will help the dealers

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And that JIT supply means there's no warehouses full of parts for replacements. Couple years down the road and you need an unusual part it's junkyard time. But I suspect non-union N. Carolina does supply a lot of the parts these days and Helene probably shut down a lot of that.
Yeah that doesn't happen. This isn't a new process. It was pioneered by toyota. This is for production. Lean process. Keeps things cheap and efficient and allows you to react accordingly when it comes to making more/less of something