AutoRide no longer functional - Need opinions for Towing.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alxmlr789

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have started to tow my 3 series to the track and need to get some opinions on fixing the airride in my fathers 2004 Escalade Ext- AWD. The truck has 109k miles, which I am assuming is all original suspension.

The compressor no longer kicks on (fuse is good), and the bags are deflated to the touch. I think what happened is either the sensor was bad, or the bags had a leak and the compressor burnt out. The back sags quite a bit pulling 5k lbs.

I know there are options to convert the air suspension to a stronger coil spring. Looks like it runs about 600 dollars. I also have found some sources for a new compressor and shocks/struts for aroud 750-850.

The truck goes into the dealer on tuesday for some open recalls to be taken care of, and we requested they diagnose the air ride while it is there. I will be doing the labor myself in the garage, does not look very hard at all.

What would you guys recommend is the best for towing? I am not looking to lift the truck at all, this would not be okay with my father. I am fine with either option, just want whatever is best for towing, without sacrificing too much ride quality. Let me know your thoughts, thank you guys!

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I removed my autoride after the second compressor died and replaced it with billstein 5100 shocks. I only tow a small 6x12 trailer with a few thousand pounds on it and the rear doesn`t sag at all. If you decide to go that route you can get air bags that go inside of the coil springs and just add air to level the ride when towing. http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index...8P8HAQ&zenid=26cf6ef0075eeb6aab185210f85daaa3

OP
OP
A

alxmlr789

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I removed my autoride after the second compressor died and replaced it with billstein 5100 shocks. I only tow a small 6x12 trailer with a few thousand pounds on it and the rear doesn`t sag at all. If you decide to go that route you can get air bags that go inside of the coil springs and just add air to level the ride when towing. http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index...8P8HAQ&zenid=26cf6ef0075eeb6aab185210f85daaa3

Awesome, did you keep the OEM Springs or upgrade to a stiffer spring? I was planning on adding the airlift version of those bags for 83 bucks.

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I left the stock springs in, I always carry my three 100 pound dogs and about another few hundred pounds of stuff to our vacation home and with that much weight and the trailer it doesn`t squat enough for me to bother changing them or adding the bags. I would try the bags first before buying the stiffer springs.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
in rear airlift helper bags will do it. YOu will want the 9 inch tall ones I have a part number list on my vendor forum

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andraliahlee