Autoride not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmznshana

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just bought a 2001 Hoe LT w/ autoride... Put my trailer on it and realized the autoride is not activating.... I found the 30 amp fuse in the elec. center under the hood had been removed. I replaced it and still no joy....

I disconnected on of the sensor rods and manually tried to kick it on.. No joy..

I did hear a click maybe 2 times as if a relay was clicking (not sure if a relay or the compressor trying to start..) from the compressor area.. But nothing else.. It seems it's dead...

Can anyone point me in a direction of troubleshooting the system. WHere should I start? Could this be a relay problem? Fried compressor.. etc... I have a multimeter and good wrenching skills.. Just no knowledge of this type of system and what I should check and what order to eliminate possible faults...

Thank you

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I`m not sure about how to diagnose the system but i`m guessing that your compressor is dead. The previous owner probably pulled the fuse after it died.

My compressor slowly died by running slower and slower every day until it stopped. Luckily i was still under warranty when it went but from reading here this place has the best prices for a replacement.

https://www.arnottindustries.com/part_CHEVROLET_yid11.html

OP
OP
J

jmznshana

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Uh yes the compressor is there... Well actually it's on my bench now...

I tried to jump test it from the battery today with it off and when I put the + to + and - to - it was sparking and the wires were trying to weld themselves too the contact pins... Like when you contact charged jumper cables together... And the negative wire got hot extremely fast...

Would this indicate an internal short in the pump?

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
James, it sounds like you need to replace the compressor. While you are at it, the rear shocks probably need to be replaced as well. There are a couple vendors that sell replacement options. I did the Monroe 40034 shocks (I think that part # is correct) which is a direct replacement for the autoride shocks. My compressor was still good so I did not replace it. For those who need to replace the compressor, Arnott sells a pretty good unit that a lot of members are happy with.

OP
OP
J

jmznshana

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Got it fixed.... I called Arnott and spoke to a tech guy about what it was doing.. His name was Robert. (Very helpful) He explained that nearly ALL the factory unitws are good for about 80k. The shocks dry rot and start sucking in moisture which in turn gets into the compressor and burns it up. I pulled the compressor off and tried to jump it with 12 volt. It just clicked and the leads were sparking which told me the unit was grounding internally.

Ordered and picked up the Bilstein shocks and compressor from Arnott. I live near the factory. Got everything in yesterday. At first I was having a pull hair out moment because I could not get the system to run proplerly with the relay installed. Only if I took it out and bypassed it by jumping the #30 and #87 leads on the plug... I tested the relay and it was good so I thought maybe the sensors on the framer were bad or had a short. But had a hard time believing that both went bad.... After a lot of reading other threads somewhere else I found out there is a 3rd fuse in the system besides the 2 30 amp under the hood... The ign3 fuse in the dash fuse box is tied into the system and is where the sensors are run to. it was a 10 amp. Found it burned out. Changed it and everything came on properly....

Works great now!!!

moosehead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it fixed.... I called Arnott and spoke to a tech guy about what it was doing.. His name was Robert. (Very helpful) He explained that nearly ALL the factory unitws are good for about 80k. The shocks dry rot and start sucking in moisture which in turn gets into the compressor and burns it up. I pulled the compressor off and tried to jump it with 12 volt. It just clicked and the leads were sparking which told me the unit was grounding internally.

Ordered and picked up the Bilstein shocks and compressor from Arnott. I live near the factory. Got everything in yesterday. At first I was having a pull hair out moment because I could not get the system to run proplerly with the relay installed. Only if I took it out and bypassed it by jumping the #30 and #87 leads on the plug... I tested the relay and it was good so I thought maybe the sensors on the framer were bad or had a short. But had a hard time believing that both went bad.... After a lot of reading other threads somewhere else I found out there is a 3rd fuse in the system besides the 2 30 amp under the hood... The ign3 fuse in the dash fuse box is tied into the system and is where the sensors are run to. it was a 10 amp. Found it burned out. Changed it and everything came on properly....

Works great now!!!

Curious on what this cost.
Need to replace mine and would like to get an idea on the cost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

05TaH0e

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Also wondering what the cost of replacement compressor was. There is a used one for $400 on here.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just the compressor: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESCALADE-SU...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item460436c09e

New rear shocks (no auto dampening) with compressor: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-REAR-AI...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item33674db832

Reman rear shocks with compressor: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-REAR-AI...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item588ddf0e00

New front and rear shocks with compressor: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-COMPLET...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item45f8e23d0b

I bought mine through through Ebay from them because it was cheaper than buying from their site (not sure if it still is), and this is their ebay store by the way!! I did the reman rear shocks with compressor at the same time!!

Sorry to hijack the thread, thought I'd help answer these last few questions!

Glad you got your system all figured out jmznshana, just make sure you have a great seal between the compressor and the dryer!! I developed a leak between there the last time I replaced the compressor and didn't know why my system was leaking down within a few hours of the truck sitting!! I one day finally figured out that for some reason the air connection between the dryer and compressor was leaking where I could finally hear it!! I took it apart, lubed up the o ring really good, and when I put it back together I pushed it in as tight as I could and then bolted down the dryer back on the compressor and so far no leaking!!

Other than that snafu and having to replace a shock and a compressor (both under warranty), I've been very happy with everything about Arnott's quality and customer service!! I only wish I lived close to them like you do, would make warranty stuff a breeze!!

BigClay

Reaction score
Small hi-jack.

What are the pros/cons of the auto dampening? I see the reman rear shocks keep it, but the new bilstein rear shocks eliminate it. What does it do?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SylviaC56