Auxilary Monitor to factory DVD player

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How is the power for the camera hooked up right now, to only have power when the reverse lights are on or is it powered all the time or when the truck is on? Might have both signals on at the same time possibly, both camera and DVD? Just throwing some ideas out there!

OP
OP
riso79

riso79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How is the power for the camera hooked up right now, to only have power when the reverse lights are on or is it powered all the time or when the truck is on? Might have both signals on at the same time possibly, both camera and DVD? Just throwing some ideas out there!

The camera is strictly hooked up to the reverse light wire. Its off unless the shifter is in reverse.

I am going to trace all my steps tomorrow and see if there is something that I am missing, it is really driving me nuts. Not to mention its torture if there is a movie on for the front monitor. I am afraid it is a format issue but I dont think that monitors have formats like TV's???

OP
OP
riso79

riso79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took it all apart today and traced my steps. The monitor will only flicker when a DVD is playing in the factory unit. The monitor doesnt flicker when i hook up a different DVD player, even through the same RCA cable and the monitor doesnt flicker when I hook up anything into the factory auxilary input on the overhead. I even took the RCA's I am running and hooked up the factory DVD to a LCD tv that I have and it didn't flicker on that. So right back to some sort of compatibility issue with the monitor and DVD player. Anyone ever heard of this?

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you try a different set of rca's? I know, they worked on another tv but at this point you need to exhaust all options! If they are cheaper rca's, you may want to try a nicer set for the shielding properties for interference!

Also, I'm assuming that the other DVD player and LCD tv you used were pluged in to your house power and not your truck power, right? Might be a grounding/power conflict or an interference of some sort, did you run your rca's in a different path than your power? If not you should try that and see if that solves your problem!

Just some ideas for you to try out if you haven't already!

Last edited:
OP
OP
riso79

riso79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you try a different set of rca's? I know, they worked on another tv but at this point you need to exhaust all options! If they are cheaper rca's, you may want to try a nicer set for the shielding properties for interference!

Also, I'm assuming that the other DVD player and LCD tv you used were pluged in to your house power and not your truck power, right? Might be a grounding/power conflict or an interference of some sort, did you run your rca's in a different path than your power? If not you should try that and see if that solves your problem!

Just some ideas for you to try out if you haven't already!

I used the same RCA's that are already in the truck. I would think that but the video is fine in the front monitor when I use the auxilary inputs on the factory DVD housing. It has to be the DVD player, found a place that will sell the DVD player alone for $200 but I am still trying to decide if its not worth trying another $40 monitor first. Afterall, when I hook up any different monitor to the DVD player usin the current RCA's it doesn't cut out.

The home monitor and DVD player I hooked up using the AC plugs I installed in the truck and to rule that out I even hooked them up to the wall plug in the garage. The monitor gets it own power from a seperate fuse block I ran from the battery so I would have a solid power source for any additional accessories I add.

Its really driving me nuts. At least the truck is at the dealership for a few days getting the sunroof and steering wheel buttons replaced. Gotta love warranty.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just sounds like its picking up interference somewhere in the truck, I'd be looking at the monitor more than the DVD since the monitor is an ebay item (I think you mentioned that) compared to the DVD which is probably a name brand one.
Didn't you say the monitor has 2 inputs on it? If so, have you tried switching them and see if the problem still only happens on the DVD side or if the back up camera messes up when you switch them, might be a bad input!

OP
OP
riso79

riso79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If possible could you show how you wired in the video out from the dvd player. I am curious as I would like to do something like this as well.

Also I had been looking at this video screen. Any reason you went with the one you did.

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-5-inch-TFT-LC...001?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb44301c1

.It is the 4th wire in the harness that comes from the DVD player. I had several other wiring diagrams and none of them were right, you just have to test them. The voltage coming out is something like 3-4 volts. I have spent countless hours trying to figure out why mine cuts out and am about to scrap the whole idea and get a whole different rear monitor that is bigger anyhow. Good luck to you, some think it might be the monitor but from everything that I have tested, retested, re-grounded, re-soldered and then done it all again am still having this issue.

I came across a great product from NAV TV that will allow for a backup camera and a seperate A/V input to the factory deck that still gives you non-RF sound and on a bigger screen BUT you cannot have the RSE. Easy fix, disconnect the rear factory DVD and you now have no more rear seat entertainment.
That small grainy screen was driving me nuts anyhow.

Why I picked that monitor: I picked that monitor because it has the largest viewing screen that I could find to fit the small space. It was thin, the front of the monitor had no plastic around the front of it that I would then have to try and make symetrical to what you see front the bezel.

If you end up trying to make this work let me know how it goes,maybe I got a bad monitor........ I dont want to buy a new rear DVD unit but am at the point of spending whatever it takes to make it all work and if that means ditching what I have tried to do, i will.

Those that want to add back up camera and DVD to the factory touch screen navigation unit the part number is GM205 made by NAV TV. Here is a link to a place that sells it.

http://www.installer.com/cars/by_car.php?carid=6942

Last edited:

AJP

Reaction score
I don't have nav so that isnt an option for me. I guess I will have to just spend the money and see what I get.

2005yukonxl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am doing a similar setup but just wondered what you did with the traction button, where did you move it to? i'd lke to have ours still accessible just wondering where I wanna put it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52

Latest posts