ball joint replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
E

elt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Now to get the new one to go in! It is not wanting to press in.... getting really tired of this job.

Attachments

• 20140323_120516.jpg
    20140323_120516.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

mattluttrell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes you can torch the hole and freeze the ball joint. You can also modify (grind) on the tool adapter if it isn't lining up.

Fixer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am new here and have been looking around for fixit tips. I will be replacing the upper and lower ball joints on a friends 99 Tahoe 4X4 as soon as the weather warms up a bit. I'm not sure if this information will be useful to anyone here or not, but here is a link to a fairly detailed "how to" tutorial.

http://www.tribalvisiontruck.com/balljoints.htm

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am new here and have been looking around for fixit tips. I will be replacing the upper and lower ball joints on a friends 99 Tahoe 4X4 as soon as the weather warms up a bit. I'm not sure if this information will be useful to anyone here or not, but here is a link to a fairly detailed "how to" tutorial.

http://www.tribalvisiontruck.com/balljoints.htm

That looks like a good write up. Saved for later use. Thanks!

devnull

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You can buy it from Harbor Freight for $40 or so.

No. No no no! The Harbor Freight balljoint tool is crap. I own one, and the C-clamp bent up the first time I used it, while installing a ball joint on my Yukon. No impact gun was used, just a long ratchet. In other words, I bent up their sorry excuse for a clamp with my bare hands. The bending of the clamp caused the balljoint to be installed in at an angle.. it was ridiculous. If I had to use the HF tool, it would have taken me hours of re-positioning the tool to compensate for its weakness. But don't take my word for it... have a look at the pages and pages of reviews on harborfreight.com that detail the weakness of that C-clamp.

NAPA sells (and loans!) the Evercraft kit, which I had to switch to.. it's solid. OTC also makes a solid kit that a lot of people like, and generally, I've had good luck with OTC tools. Amazon has it for $107 shipped to my door.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhrusso925