Battery drain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JCODOHERTY

Reaction score
Original alternator? Or rebuilt replacement? Either way sounds like the culprit. Sounds good. Getting the cluster rebuilt can't hurt either, new stepper motors and everything. Years ago I considered sending mine in on trade for one with a trans temp needle. I think the Escalades had them, not sure about all that now. Have you gone through and cleaned up all the ground connections? And where it's metal on metal just add some lithium grease after removing any corrosion. I go around and wire brush/sand everything. Also, use any electrical contact spray cleaner to get the connectors clean, if they're sticking. I agree it's always good to go to autozone/oreillys and get the free battery check. Which alternator did you get? I've been doing some maintenance on the old Yukon and have all the usual thoughts of what's still working and what's going to need to be replaced and I better find good prices on those items sooner than later. Prices aren't going back down anytime soon.

OP
OP
Michigan

Michigan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m actually not that
Original alternator? Or rebuilt replacement? Either way sounds like the culprit. Sounds good. Getting the cluster rebuilt can't hurt either, new stepper motors and everything. Years ago I considered sending mine in on trade for one with a trans temp needle. I think the Escalades had them, not sure about all that now. Have you gone through and cleaned up all the ground connections? And where it's metal on metal just add some lithium grease after removing any corrosion. I go around and wire brush/sand everything. Also, use any electrical contact spray cleaner to get the connectors clean, if they're sticking. I agree it's always good to go to autozone/oreillys and get the free battery check. Which alternator did you get? I've been doing some maintenance on the old Yukon and have all the usual thoughts of what's still working and what's going to need to be replaced and I better find good prices on those items sooner than later. Prices aren't going back down anytime soon.

I bought a brand new alternator from advanced auto parts

Carquest 8292AN Is the part number for it and it actually had the same exact brand in there from 2006.

I have not cleaned all the grounds but I should look into that

I feel like this should resolve my battery drain issue but I’m not that confident. After leaving parked and I test the voltage on the battery it reads 12.4 volts and I think it could possibly be holding up high because the battery is new. I believe 12.4 is at 75 percent charge but I’m not sure what these should read after 24 hours or more.

In the past it would read 12.1 volts after 48 hours though so it could be fixed. I think the real test would maybe let it sit for a week. In the past after a week it dropped all the way down to about 2 volts but I think I will be driving a little more now

For the cluster rebuild I sent it out to Auto circuit which cost less than $200 shipped and received back and they did a good job and were the cheapest I found. Like I said the local shop quoted me $900 smh

Attachments

• IMG_1471.jpeg
    IMG_1471.jpeg
    442.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1473.jpeg
    IMG_1473.jpeg
    310.7 KB · Views: 2

JCODOHERTY

Reaction score
Local shops have lost the plot. Everyone can get on the net to look up the best place to send a cluster for rebuild.
I just replaced my original radiator. Was going to source the original version from the early 2000s but went with the most recent iteration from GM. Purchased through Walmart for $233 with free shipping right to my door. Same one at the dealer would be something like $500. And who knows how much more to change it out. All it cost me was a few gallons of budget of DexCool 50/50. Checked hoses, etc. I've maintained this for some years but don't drive it much at all. I was fully dealer serviced at the beginning, now at 150k I'm about to do the motor maintenance to keep it going. I did have the transmission gone through several years ago when it first started burning up.Doing a fuse check tomorrow and cleaning connectors. Several small projects ongoing. Overhauling all the lighting. Taking apart the lamp housings and polishing the lenses, soldering some new sockets, all new bulbs, a couple slightly brighter fog bulbs and low beams, etc. Going to install my own tires on a set of rims. Need to see it the ring on the cam sensor or the valley is leaking. It's time to press out the lower control arm bushing. They're original. Everything is. Anyway, good to hear you're staying on top of your battery issue.

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found some pins in the harness connector going to my automatic leveling suspension pump was corroded. Had to replace the pins in there. One is always hot and will drain your battery if corroded or allowed to come into contact with water from going through puddles or car washes. Just something I noticed working on a battery drain issue myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rukiro