Bearing Noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JLaud

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've got a 2003 Tahoe Z71 and I've got this grinding/humming noise when turning right but not left or going straight. Happens on Freeway off ramps, sharp right turns above 25mph. I replaced both front hubs with Timken's but the same noise is still there. Spent some time underneath and checked the following items but still not sure what is causing this noise:

1. Both CV axles look good, the rubber boots are good and there are no leaks
2. The Front differential fluid is full and nice and golden color, and this noise is there in 2WD and 4WD
3. The Ball joints all look good and with the new hubs there is no play in both the front wheels
4. No Play in Steering linkages, Steering feels good with no vibrations but could be a little tighter at freeway speeds
5. The tires are scalloped a bit on the insides, the shocks have been replaced recently and will be buying new tires soon
6. One thing I did find is when spinning the driver's side front tire while jacked up I can hear some "rumbling" noise and this is not present on the right side

Any help is greatly appreciated and thank you guys in advance.

OP
OP
J

JLaud

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I can understand its a weekday and folks are busy but any advice is appreciated.

I've also been spending some time online and most everyone points the noise to a bearing failure and I just replaced both front bearings. Not sure if it could be the CV axles, supposedly they click when they fail and its usually because of a broken boot and loss of grease.

I've also been checking up on the loose steering on the highway, most forums seem to point to an EVO sensor, I checked under my dash and there is a white plastic mount but no sensor or wiring, GM must've eliminated these in 2003+ vehicles, can anyone confirm this?

After doing some diagnostics, the play in the steering wheel is mainly in the box. I can see movement all the way to the box directly corresponding to steering input, but nothing after the box is moving. Folks seem to point to the adjusting nut on top to tighten it up.

Wanted to hear any experiences you all have had with similar items and what you did to fix/eliminate these issues. Figured I'd try as much as I can before taking it to a shop, so far I've actually enjoyed working on this truck. Lots of room to work, its very forgiving and the parts are relatively reasonable, great for someone learning like myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andraliahlee