beef up 2001 tahoe suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just realized non of this is an option for me. I have a 4x4 with auto ride. I just bought keys, spacers, front shock extenders, and z71 rear coils.

Just delete auto ride. That's what I'm doing.

My compressor never runs, and shocks are blown, I don't want the headache of dealing with autoride issues in the future and I'm certainly not willing to spend $600 to maybe get it working right. I'm planning to run some Gabriel Max Control (monotube) shocks as they are dirt cheap in slightly longer than stock configuration.

Should allow me to level and lift the rear an inch or so when I get around to purchasing new tires.

I've got the z71 coils also. Only time I can tell the difference is when I have it loaded down

Good to know.

Last edited:

owl_93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just delete auto ride. That's what I'm doing.

My compressor never runs, and shocks are blown, I don't want the headache of dealing with autoride issues in the future and I'm certainly not willing to spend $600 to maybe get it working right. I'm planning to run some Gabriel Max Control (monotube) shocks as they are dirt cheap in slightly longer than stock configuration.

Should allow me to level and lift the rear an inch or so when I get around to purchasing new tires.
The autoride conversion is really expensive though isn't it?

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The autoride conversion is really expensive though isn't it?

To remove it? Not at all.

Just get standard shocks for a vehicle without it (bilstein 5100s). Remove the relay and use 39 ohm 25w resistors ($1 a piece @ radioshack or the like) for the connectors for the original shocks AFAIK.

Then you don't need shock extenders assuming you get longer shocks. IIRC Dodge truck rear shocks are ~2"-3" longer, and 5100s for your vehicle allow up to 2.5" front lift. IIRC here The version for 2500hd trucks are another 1" or so longer.

This should give you a better ride, although youll lose the auto levelling feature.

Keep in mind I'm just looking @ doing this myself so I have not actually done it yet.

Last edited: