Benefits of the diesel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DocDoug

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is old thinking related to old diesel technology. It’s simply not true anymore.

I am on my third modern diesel (2017 L5P duramax, 2018 Cummins, 2022 Cummins). My daily drive to work is 8 min and I make that drive 6 times a day almost every day. No issues.
You don’t keep them long enough to have problems. Smart.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will see problems at about 80,000 miles when you need a new DPF. Not cheap. This will erase all fuel mileage savings over the 5.3.
DPF is covered under 8/80 emissions warranty, plus mine gets a good drive every week or so. This isn't the DPF's of old....
Closer to the engine lets them burn hotter and cleaner and get to temp much more quickly...

UsualSuspect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will see problems at about 80,000 miles when you need a new DPF. Not cheap. This will erase all fuel mileage savings over the 5.3.
We have 3.0's well into the 100,00's, never had one go bad, never replaced one, but I am sure there are a few out there that failed. DPF's can be cleaned, which is done on Class 8 trucks at 500,000, I haven't seen any GM documentation on when, or if it needs to be removed and sent out for cleaning. I had my in-house mechanic look, we can buy an OEM DPF from GM for a little over $900 our cost, not sure what retail is, but the Class 8 trucks I know what they cost to clean, around $1,500, and that is just the cleaning, doesn't include R&R from the truck. I wish GM would have included a manual regen, and a way to tell you it's needs one, or if it is doing a regen, but I have a feeling some folks would panic if it told.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dexmann1