Best and MostReliable Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BacDoc

Reaction score
For out of warranty, all around motor I gotta agree with BigBurb, the 6.0 Vortec is a great one. I had one in my last truck and 85k miles all that was needed was oil changes and I towed heavy loads and beat the piss out of that one!

Bigburb3500

Reaction score
Talking about new with warranty, there’s been some lemons but there’s thousands of 5.3l an 6.2l V8’s out there with over 100k still running strong.

I drove a lot of new 2024 trucks and all ran strong and smooth but none sounded as good as the GM V8’s. I didn’t get a chance to drive the Wagoneer V8 option. The Ford and Toyota 6 cylinder was better than I expected from a normal drive perspective but full throttle left a lot to be desired in terms of performance and sound.

The 10 speed transmissions in Ford, GM and Toyota shifted perfectly with slow acceleration/deceleration, lugging and full throttle. I don’t know how anyone could criticize any of these new 10 speed trucks.
The Ford and GM 10 speed are nearly identical because I think the transmission was developed together. Obviously not interchangeable but it is “identical.” Someone correct me if I am incorrect.

I had a 6.4 Hemi and it was a great engine. My dad has a 5.7 in his 3/4 ton and it’s been solid towing his 6-7k lbs boat and has over 100k miles.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, I’d stay away from the diesel due to the belt driven oil pump in the crank case. What could possibly go wrong with that design? Supposedly it sheds tiny bits rubber that potentially blocks oil passages. What was so wrong with shaft/gear driven oil pumps? I guess they are just saving money hoping to get beyond the warranty period.
Send a picture/link to a failed oil pump belt on an LM2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Triton2690