best fix leaking tire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sick1166

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got new tires a few months ago and have a small leak 3 lbs a day,found it with sopy water and its in between treads finishing nail size (very small) my buddy said put some fix a flat in and bedone or should I go with a patch?
stopped by firestone today and he said he would not guarantee that he would not scratch up the chrome on the wheel so I left. Its just a 22" oem chrome wheel? any opinions
thanks for the help

Attachments

• IMG_0900.jpg
    IMG_0900.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 17

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
definatly would not go the Fix a flat route. If you have tmps, they could mess those up and another prtential problem is that it could throw the balance off. I used it once and it didnt work cause the hole was too large, it ended up all over the side of my car and was near impossible to get off once it dried

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would get the tire fixed correctly but not use that Firestone shop.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It can be plugged without dismounting the tire. But patching it from the inside is the absolute most reliable repair. Personally I would pay to have it patched.

jcg2188

Reaction score
Just send me the rims and be done with your problems :p hahaha. But no just take it to a different tire shop. If the tech is an experienced worker he should have no problem not scratching the rim.

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really, plug and go man..done deal. I carry a plug kit with me and cannot tell you how many times it has bailed me out. 2 minute fix.

edgaranah1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah plugs work fine too. I had a plug put on my 305/40s when they had about 3k miles on it and now they have about 60k and its still holding up.

I need new tires though. Lol

Sent from my BlackBerry 8530 using Tapatalk

02zl1_97ss

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do not put fix a flat in it and also............do not plug it. The only accepted method of repair is with a radial patch.

As someone else suggested...............take it to another tire shop where they do a lot of custom wheels. They will know how to properly dismount it without scratching or damaging the wheel.

I used to own a tire shop for several years. I had one guy that I used on all of the "delicate / special" jobs for custom wheels. He would take his time and be very careful not to scratch or damage the wheel and to properly balance it after repairing the tire.

Where I live (Iowa), in the winter time, fix-a-flat freezes and most definitely throws the wheel out of balance and again, the tire leaks because the fix-a-flat no longer seals the leak.

A plug separates the belts in a radial tire and voids the tire manufacturer's warranty.

Again, the only proper repair is with a radial patch on the inside of the tire.

Good luck and if you love your vehicle and your tires, I suggest that you do it the correct way.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diablo1970