Best way to fix rust around tailgate handle ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

acadian

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi guys,

My '98 Yukon has rot near the tailgate handle that seems to come from the inside of the tailgate panel. If i were to push on it with my finger, my finger will go right thru the panel.

What might be the best fix for a durable and long lasting tailgate short of buying a new AND EXPENSIVE tailgate from GM.

What is the fit and quality of aftermarket tailgate ?

Searched for a nice used one but they each had signs of rust coming in from the inside near that area.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best way to go and most economical (both with money well spent and time spent) would be to find a nice, rust free tailgate and paint it. If you were to fix your existing gate you have to cut out the rust and weld in a patch panel and then do all the necessary body work and paint when done.

I'm of the mindset that if the rust is bad enough on your original tailgate then I'd be looking for a replacement either new or used :shrug:

bigfeet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your bodyshop can locate you a junkyard tailgate in no time and let them swap it out and paint it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erlin