Bolts for Roof Rack? Welded on?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BP RETIRED

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those of you who have had your roof rack off. The bolt that is in the roof itself...was it welded to the roof of the tahoe?......or how was it placed/fastened in there?
Getting ready to install my roof rack and I got the hex type shaped bolts that slide into the holes in the roof, but I must be missing something. When you put the rack on and screw it to the bolt you can just simply removed the bolt with with the screw right from the roof?

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm good question. I can look next time I'm at my truck and report back. I currently have my roof rack off and just put some shorter screws in there to make sure the holes are filled.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What, exactly, is the question? Are you asking how the female, threaded sleeves are set in the roof? Or, are you asking something else? If the former, them I'm pretty sure they've been welded in place at the factory. I can't imagine they'd be set some other way, or else the roof rack could easily fall off the truck.

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think they are welded in, someone here drilled them out. They are pushed in and then maybe crimped from the underside........

southview

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
they are what we call in the auto industry as NUTSERTS. They are put in like a rivet and you need to put a sealer around them before setting them in.Google nutsert.

Intimidator3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Always remember to seal your nuts. One time I forgot and now my nutsert...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tahoe nate