Brake issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99yuko

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey, I have a 99 Denali here, and every time I hit a bump, usually going around a corner, or cornering hard, the bottom of my brake pad grinds against the rotor. (not the braking surface of the rotor)

I am going to replace what ever I need, but I was just wondering if this is something anyone else dealt with? Or if anyone has any ideas why this is happening. It happens on both sides (drivers and passenger), and has actually made a groove in my rotors. Any advice would be awesome!!!

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
No experience with that but thinking your caliper mountings or hardware is broke or loose or something is seriously wrong with your spindle. Are you sure you have the correct brake pad application.

BattelWagun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really all you can do is get under there and try to see what's going on. I agree though, the only thing I can think of is a wrong/bad set of pads, a cracked caliper mount, a bad spindle, or missing hardware... Hard to tell honestly. Just take the tire off and give it a cursory examination and take pics of anything that seems wrong. Then you can post em up for more advice.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, I had/still have that issue.

Somehow I ended up ordering 3/4ton pads from Summit instead of 1/2ton. When I put them on, they ground a groove in the tophats of my rotors.

picture.jpg

I resolved the issue by grinding the backs down on a grinding wheel until they cleared the tophats.

So to recap, pads are 3/4ton, rotors are 3/4ton or(most likely) broken caliper bolt. Pull each bolt out and make sure the end doesn't look broken jagged or sharp, then replace and tighten good.

OP
OP

99yuko

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, The pads are the cheep ones from Orielly Auto, I they were a Wagner Themo .... I have replaced them with NAPA's Adaptive One Pads. The rotors and old pads are only 10 months old.

The caliper bolts were in ok shape, seemed to be smooth. The pads I am replacing are in great shape and seem to be wearing well. I haven't had any braking problems, it always stops. I just grinds when I hit certain bumps, or when cornering(either direction) at slower speeds.

I think the new pads have fixed it, But I haven't had time to go out and really abuse it, just to make sure its fixed. I will be working on it again this weekend, what am I looking for in the case of a cracked spindle?

Here is Vehicle info: I Purchased the Yukon(97,400) in May 2010 at an salvage auction(KLODES) in Denver Co. I assume the front end had been hit at sometime and had been poorly fixed. I replaced the upper ball joints, tie rods, pitman arm, idler arm,(ALL MOOG) front shocks, brake pads, rotors. The steering was real loose, so I swapped steering gears(USED fron a 98 hoe that had been rear ended@77k) ,steering speed sensor, and that sorta helped that out. New fuel pump(gas gauge working part time) New tires, and a hitch receiver.

The Denali only has 108,000 on it.

Thanks for all the help.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Wagner is good stuff, Hawk super duties are better. Would not touch house brands.
When looking for a cracked spindle look for lines that are darker or lighter then the rest of the spindle when wiped down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrchoopa2u

Latest posts