Brake Lights don't work but third brake light still does?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jordankreutzer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I am having an issue with my brake lights. I noticed a few weeks ago that I had a brake light out. I figured the bulb was burned out and it would be a big deal so I had been putting off fixing it for awhile. Yesterday I notices that my cruise control was no longer working which I assumed to be a fuse. When I checked it, it was fine. This made me think that the brake switch may be out so I checked that out. Appears to be fine but in the process I found out that both brake lights are now out. The bulbs are fine all of the fuses are fine. Do is my las option a wiring issues somewhere under the truck?

Thanks for the help!

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a brake light switch under the dash somewhere that can go bad at times. When it goes bad the brake lights no longer activate and the cruise doesn't work. I would check that out before tearing into the wiring.

OP
OP
jordankreutzer

jordankreutzer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I checked it with a multimeter and it appears to be working (showing about 12 volts with the brake depressed). I don't think they are expensive parts so maybe Ill get one and see if that fixes the problem.

thanks!

gitrduun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where did you test for voltage ? At the lights or the switch?

-j

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the bulbs are confirmed good, then I'd go through ALL of the fuses in the box, sometimes GM piggy backs different systems on the same fuse but won't label them as such!

---------- Post added at 07:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 AM ----------

Where did you test for voltage ? At the lights or the switch?

-j

He said that his 3rd brake light still works so that means his brake switch has voltage and still works!

gitrduun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah , maks sense, but he still might not have power at the other lights

DMGfishing

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Resolution?

Anyone know what the resolution to this thread was? I'm having the same issue with my 2001 Yukon XL 1500 SLT. Third brake light works but bitge other brake lights do not. All other lights work. Fuse and bulbs are good. Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
humbertoltx