Brake Pad Questions(s)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cqlink

Reaction score
I have a '99 LT and it needs pads. I saw a number of different pads and options on Rock Auto. I have front disc and rear drums. 5.7L It's an LT. As far as I know it doens't have police package.

According to the pads listed on the site, It looks like Tahoes have either a 10" or 11" drum?

Is there any quick way of determining drum size without pulling the wheel and measuring?

What pads are you guys running and how do you like them? Where did you buy them?

---------- Post added at 11:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 AM ----------

While I'm at it, I might as well ask, is there a good drum to disc conversion kit out there? If there is, I might as well go for some nice slotted/ drilled rotors on all four wheels.

Can anyone explain the process or shoot me a link?

Forgot to mention, my truck is 4WD.

Thanks!

Last edited:

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are conversions out there to go to a disk set up. Are you asking for front PADS or rear SHOES? I am assuming the rear shoes....and no, from my opinion they are all similar.

Last edited:

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
The 1999 Tahoe will typically have the 10" drums in the rear - shoes are 10"x2.25". Best bet is to make sure of what's on your truck before ordering though. The size is stamped on the drum.

As far as front pads, the Hawk LTS pads (PN: HB332Y-654) work VERY well with the PowerSlot rotors. Check out www.buybrakes.com for pricing.

Last edited:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
if it a 4wd and 4 doors you will probably have the 11inchers. 10 inches were used mainly on the 2-doors. Look up you rpo code in the glove box or run a vin check at compnine.com and see what variant of "JB*" code you have. Like Tiger said if you can see your drum brakes thu the well you might see the max diameter stamped there. Post it here. Rear conversion can go for about $1000 and usually do not include slotted rears. Powerslots and hawk lts or sd pads are great but a hydro-boost setup will do a lot more the a rear conversion.

OP
OP
C

cqlink

Reaction score
thanks guys. I'll post rpo code. Is "JG" the code for the Tahoe platform?

Last edited:

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
if it a 4wd and 4 doors you will probably have the 11inchers. 10 inches were used mainly on the 2-doors.
Sunlit is correct - you have 11" rears.

For pads, everyone seems to be a big fan of Hawk LTS or Hawk Heavy Duty pads. I've seen varying opinions on rotors, but as long as you go with a quality set, you will be fine (just don't get drilled rotors). I personally went with slotted and noticed a difference in the rain.

Side note - When you get new pads and rotors, follow the directions EXACTLY as they are printed for breaking in your new pads. You need the pads to seat (sp) correctly with your new rotors.

Save your $$ on the rear disc conversion unless you are doing it for looks. Same with stainless steel brake lines, look cool, but no really benefit for our application.

If you want to really improve your stopping distance, convert your vacuum brakes to hydro boost. It's fairly straightforward, but you definitely need to understand braking systems if you are going to tackle it yourself b/c there is a real risk of losing your brakes due to an improper install. There are a few writeups on this site plus others that explain the install.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
thanks guys. I'll post rpo code. Is "JG" the code for the Tahoe platform?

Did not quite understand that.

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

If you were talking about the brake system it should start with JB.

OP
OP
C

cqlink

Reaction score
Yes. I meant JB code. As you noted, it looks like that is the first PNs for brake system?

I was wondering if it stood for the Tahoe platform. i.e. a two letter designator such as "LX" is Chrysler code for the 300 and Charger vehicle platform.

Thanks! My truck is basically a nice riding workhorse that still looks good. If I'm not getting add'l performance with disc brakes, I'll stick with drums and stock lines.

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you guys saying that the disc kits with Hawk pads are no better than the drums?

The things I hate about drums are, the self adjusters suck and work 20% of the time, they suck when wet, they can get wet sand stuck in them making grinding noise, harder to work on, brake pedal travel is more mushy.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Yes. I meant JB code. As you noted, it looks like that is the first PNs for brake system?

I was wondering if it stood for the Tahoe platform. i.e. a two letter designator such as "LX" is Chrysler code for the 300 and Charger vehicle platform.

Thanks! My truck is basically a nice riding workhorse that still looks good. If I'm not getting add'l performance with disc brakes, I'll stick with drums and stock lines.
No, it is just the two first letters in the rpo code. jb5, jb6, jb7........

As far want you were thinking baybe those platform codes are usually not talked about. People just say two or four door, tahoe or suburban. 4*2 or 4*4. A four door Tahoe 4x4 specifically is a K10706.

---------- Post added at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 PM ----------

Are you guys saying that the disc kits with Hawk pads are no better than the drums?

The things I hate about drums are, the self adjusters suck and work 20% of the time, they suck when wet, they can get wet sand stuck in them making grinding noise, harder to work on, brake pedal travel is more mushy.

No. Rear aftermarket disc kits are less effective than putting on a hydroboost setup.

If you are getting sand it them are you sure the little guard shields on your backing plates are intact or are you just driving in a foot of sand and water?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968