Brake Upgrade Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ARojo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a 2002 Chevy Tahoe LS 5.3 in need of full brake replacement. I wanted to go ahead and upgrade to a PowerStop full brake kit, but I’m stuck. There are two different styles of brake calipers, one being PBR, and the other Akebono. How would I be able to determine which style caliper my Tahoe is equipped with? Thank you in advance for your help.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a 2002 Chevy Tahoe LS 5.3L in need of full brake replacement.
I wanted to go ahead and upgrade to a PowerStop full brake kit, but I’m stuck.
There are two different styles of brake calipers, one being PBR, and the other Akebono.
How would I be able to determine which style caliper my Tahoe is equipped with?
If you really want to go crazy you can put 2019+ silverado 1500 front calipers and rotors on.
Think you need 18" wheels for the above maintenance upgrade.

If you want to go mildly crazy - and you have 17" wheels - front brake caliper brackets, calipers, rotors, and pads for a 2010 Suburban.

Point is, instead of determining which style caliper your Tahoe is equipped with,
just upgrade to GM OE from a younger Suburban or Silverado.

buckwild27

Reaction score
Think you need 18" wheels for the above maintenance upgrade.

If you want to go mildly crazy - and you have 17" wheels - front brake caliper brackets, calipers, rotors, and pads for a 2010 Suburban.

Point is, instead of determining which style caliper your Tahoe is equipped with,
just upgrade to GM OE from a younger Suburban or Silverado.
If you get the 2019+ pickup wheels or 2021+ tahoe/yukon 17's you can run those, or aftermarket wheels with correct back spacing. Not saying this is what most people want to do, but it is an option.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm working on this myself, I wouldn't use that power stop kit. I'd upgrade to GMT900 front brakes and dual piston GMT800 on rear if you don't already have that. That GMT900 brakes will require you have 17" rims though. If you have the 17" rims they're are direct bolt on. You can get the power stop kit for GMT900 fronts with those brakes but MUST be from a 2010 or NEWER NNBS / GMT900. I'd do 2011 or newer to be safe (to 2014? not sure of last year of NNBS). If you don't have the dual piston caliper in rear end, then swap it out with the GMT800 dual piston caliper setup.

Next replace your flex lines with lines rated for hydro boost and swap out your fluid. I'm currently going to swap with steal braided hoses. HERE is my post.

If you go with the next brake design you'll end up having to cut the calipers and shim them and or newer wheels. I MUCH prefer things to be a direct fit, otherwise you'll run into complexity issues if you take up the shimming, okay fit philosophy. Imagine wife taking to shop for instance and they loose washers (shims) during a brake job. Just my 2 cents... simpler is better.

FYI ~ I use the HECK out of my 2001 Z71 Tahoe. It stops GREAT but I take immaculate care of the mechanicals. I can lock up the wheels with the stock braking system. My plan is to put the GMT900's on the front tough when I find a set at the junkyard.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm working on this myself, I wouldn't use that power stop kit. I'd upgrade to GMT900 front brakes and dual piston GMT800 on rear if you don't already have that. That GMT900 brakes will require you have 17" rims though. If you have the 17" rims they're are direct bolt on. You can get the power stop kit for GMT900 fronts with those brakes but MUST be from a 2010 or NEWER NNBS / GMT900. I'd do 2011 or newer to be safe (to 2014? not sure of last year of NNBS). If you don't have the dual piston caliper in rear end, then swap it out with the GMT800 dual piston caliper setup.

Next replace your flex lines with lines rated for hydro boost and swap out your fluid. I'm currently going to swap with steal braided hoses. HERE is my post.

If you go with the next brake design you'll end up having to cut the calipers and shim them and or newer wheels. I MUCH prefer things to be a direct fit, otherwise you'll run into complexity issues if you take up the shimming, okay fit philosophy. Imagine wife taking to shop for instance and they loose washers (shims) during a brake job. Just my 2 cents... simpler is better.

FYI ~ I use the HECK out of my 2001 Z71 Tahoe. It stops GREAT but I take immaculate care of the mechanicals. I can lock up the wheels with the stock braking system. My plan is to put the GMT900's on the front tough when I find a set at the junkyard.
This, right here.. I upgraded mine to the GMT900 front calipers (2010), and also installed the Powerstop Z36 kit (carbon / ceramic + slotted / drilled rotors), along with all 5 stainless braided lines from Goodridge. The rears were already the better 2-piston GMT800 brakes, but also installed the same Z36 setup in the rear. This configuration improved my (non-hydroboost) braking measurably. I've avoided several certain accidents, due to having vastly increased stopping performance. (also running factory 2015 Yukon wheels @ 18" on my '03, to fit the rotors)

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Sam Harris that's awesome! I'm eager to do this now... I noticed one additional "Potential Upgrade" but not sure about master cylinder fitment...

There's two part numbers for the master cylinder. The first is a 1.338in bore:

The second is a "Gold AC Delco Part" with 1.456 in bore:

Wondering which one I have in my truck or how to even tell. Either way curious if it's the smaller one and I'd like to swap in the bigger one would it fit?

buckwild27

Reaction score
@Sam Harris that's awesome! I'm eager to do this now... I noticed one additional "Potential Upgrade" but not sure about master cylinder fitment...

There's two part numbers for the master cylinder. The first is a 1.338in bore:

The second is a "Gold AC Delco Part" with 1.456 in bore:

Wondering which one I have in my truck or how to even tell. Either way curious if it's the smaller one and I'd like to swap in the bigger one would it fit?
I believe one is for disc/drum brakes and the other is disc/disc brakes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pavouk