Breaks Went Out on Me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Dawg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Greetings: My breaks were pretty soft for the last two months or so. I knew they were eventually going to give out. When I first felt the difference, I changed the breaks and added break fluid. None of this changed the conditions. This morning while driving, I pressed the breaks and it went to the floor. At this point, I just parked it. Any advice would be great

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Greetings: My breaks were pretty soft for the last two months or so. I knew they were eventually going to give out. When I first felt the difference, I changed the breaks and added break fluid. None of this changed the conditions. This morning while driving, I pressed the breaks and it went to the floor. At this point, I just parked it. Any advice would be great
well................
lol, kind of need more details we can't read minds and cannot see thru the internet
rust? fluid leaking? bad master cylinder?
sky is the limit here.... we can guess a squirrel bit it.....

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well................
lol, kind of need more details we can't read minds and cannot see thru the internet
rust? fluid leaking? bad master cylinder?
sky is the limit here.... we can guess a squirrel bit it.....
whatever happened to that guy who had the squirrels eating all his wiring harnesses

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Big Dawg
I would hope you already checked fluid again, how low was it when you added some? if air got in the system bleeding it thru the abs pump usually requires a tech2 type device
then look for fluid leak(s)

usually a failed master will just leave you with unassisted brakes, pedal will still be hard

OP
OP
B

Big Dawg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@Big Dawg
I would hope you already checked fluid again, how low was it when you added some? if air got in the system bleeding it thru the abs pump usually requires a tech2 type device
then look for fluid leak(s)

usually a failed master will just leave you with unassisted brakes, pedal will still be hard
@randeez thank you. When I initially checked it it was extremely low. I couldnt see any fluid. I will add some today and see what I get. I am not knowledgeable about type 2 devices and such... I will look these things up and respond back here, once Ive refilled the break fluid

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@randeez thank you. When I initially checked it it was extremely low. I couldnt see any fluid. I will add some today and see what I get. I am not knowledgeable about type 2 devices and such... I will look these things up and respond back here, once Ive refilled the break fluid
So if you could see fluid and then added some. You will need the system bled to remove air. The bigger question is, where did the fluid go? It doesn’t normally evaporate on earth.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, at the minimum you need a new master cylinder. If it leaked out the back, then the brake booster may have been the recipient for all that fluid and you'll want to replace that too.

Is this a job you want to tackle yourself or take it in?

justirv

Reaction score
"Tech 2" is a tech tool used by GM to perform a whole gamut of onboard tests and also provide actual readings and system measurements. If your brake fluid was completely dry, its probable that the master sucked air, meaning no hard you try, the system will always have air. The Tech 2 device referenced can perform a master cylinder/ABS system bleed, enabling one to continue to do the "normal" brake bleed procedure at the wheels. OEM Tech 2's are out of production and pricey. There are chinese clones available on eB@y that will do the job, and run about $300(?). Many people here have those and are happy, myself included. Note that they only work on OBD2 GM cars and trucks from ~1996-2014(?). Good luck.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do you live? Snow and salt? This is about the time when brake lines will get rusted and fail. I'd fill up that master cylinder, park on clean concrete, hit the brakes hard a couple times, look for a wet spot on the concrete.