Bubbling paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fhoffman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2001 Yukon XL with bubbling paint neat the rear liftgate wiper arm. The liftgate is aluminum. Where the paint has chipped off. There is a white residue which I think is Aluminum Oxide. I have heard that this may be a somewhat common problem. Does anyone out there know if GM has a service bulletin about this? If you have repaired it before, what did you do to fix it?
THX FH

06BlueDenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have 2006 Yukon Denali with Bermuda Blue Metallic paint which is bubbling and peeling off down to the primer or metal (not sure) on the drivers side of the hood, quarter panel and over the drivers door. Wondered if anyone else was having problems and if so, any luck with resolution with GMC?

Yukongk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 2006 Yukon Denali with Bermuda Blue Metallic paint which is bubbling and peeling off down to the primer or metal (not sure) on the drivers side of the hood, quarter panel and over the drivers door. Wondered if anyone else was having problems and if so, any luck with resolution with GMC?

Mine started a couple years ago. A few weeks ago when hosing her down, the bubbled area came off and revealed a white chalky residue. I masked around the area and sprayed plastidip to seal it up. When I have time, I will be sanding it and re painting the area. Very common problem.

redemn93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bottom, inside lip of the liftgate did it on my 01 tahoe and my 04 denali. it never came off, just bubbled. i didnt know the lift gates were aluminum. interested. seems like it just wasnt sealed well from the factory, hence the white chalky corrosion.

Reaction score
It indeed is an all to common GM issue. Seems they didn't prime correctly and it causes this to happen over time. My 04 yukon has "hood herpies" as I call it. Bubbling but not flaking yet along the center edge of the hood by the grill. Easiest way to rectify this is to sand it down, reprime, paint and blend.

---------- Post added at 12:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 AM ----------

bottom, inside lip of the liftgate did it on my 01 tahoe and my 04 denali. it never came off, just bubbled. i didnt know the lift gates were aluminum. interested. seems like it just wasnt sealed well from the factory, hence the white chalky corrosion.

Yup, sure is aluminum. I learned this the hard way lol. Went to put my ****** cancer awareness magnetic ribbon on and "woooosh" hit the ground.. I was baffled for a moment until I knocked on the damn thing.. Why aluminum? Who effin knows but it may save it rusting out like the 89-98 models tend to do on the liftgate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ne44035