Bumper fabrication???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MetalStorm

Reaction score
The rear bumper on my 99 Hoe is comin' off, just not sure what to replace it with. I want to go with something black, and I was thinking of fabricating one out of tubular steel. Anyone ever mess with something like this? Also, what is the consensus on painting the front chrome bumper? Whats the best process?

thanks guys

h0tr0d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I priced a custom rear bumper from Kinnesaw Mountain Accessories and it was very very reasonable compared to what some of the other guys are charging if you decide to buy one. Check out 02TahoeMD ...that's the bumper I had them quote me except without the lights.

http://www.kenmtn.com/html/multi-carrier.asp

I hope others can chime in and tell you the best way to prep chrome for paint as I'm interested myself. You can buy a primered bumper from LMC, but it sure would be a lot cheaper just to paint the one I've already got.

99_2door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just did new front and rear bumpers through lmc. to me it was easier to get new ones that were ready for paint as opposed to having to have my stock chromes ones prepped.

blackcoffee

O.G. Black.
Reaction score
KMA: Their bumpers come usually needing work, the paint they paint on the bumpers sucks, the price is definetly reasonable and their designs are hard to beat. Their a pain in the ass to deal with customer service wise and it'll be forever before you actually get the bumper, so when you order it be very clear what you want and double check and ask when your going to get it at your house.

OP
OP
MetalStorm

MetalStorm

Reaction score
anyone know where to find an unpainted or black painted original style bumper? just don't want the chrome anymore.

99_2door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
before you order the bumper from lmc truck let me just give you a heads up......they will ship it with the step pad but it is the wrong one, and they do not carry the correct one!!! WTF!!! i ordered the rear bumper without inserts and had it painted already but i'm frantically trying to find the correct step pad for it. it uses the one off the z-71, limited and w/t i think. the standard pad for the regular chrome bumpers with inserts extends over the edge of the bumper, so on my bumper, it just hangs off the edge all around and looks like shit. i posted a thread to see if anyone knows where to get the correct one but no luck yet.

riviera rider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my rear bumper black/paintable from ebay cost me like 225$ shipped

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390186490107&viewitem=

no bad but make sure you scuff up the inside of the bumper from where ever u get it and put either an epoxy sealer or some type of rust corrosion on the backside of it to make sure you dont get any rust starting

instructions on painting front bumper

hit the bumper with 80 grit sand paper on a sander
etch prime the bumper following with 3 coats of 2k primer, then prep for paint

make sure u etch it though to help with adhesion and also helps to keep rust out

you can also spray it with an adhesion promotor b4 etching it, thats what i did :)

i also shaved all the holes on mine

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shrubb