burning oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Widge

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all, I have an 07 Tahoe and it's burning oil. It seems like it's getting worse, this was the first time the low oil light came on and I was at about 20% life yet. I also see some smoke when I get on it; however I can't tell what color it is. It only does this when I get on it, and it seems worse when I'm full of oil. Seems to not be as bad after I have burned a quart, and yes I'm only using 6 qts of synthetic which include a qt of Lucas. The Tahoe has 75,000 miles and I noticed it by chance at night about 15,000 miles ago. It's my wifes car so it doesn't get abused. I have never had this problems on any of my Chevy's in the past. What could the problem be, I plan on taking to the dealership sson before my warranty runs out in Oct. I have read a few threads on here to familiarize posible problems.Thanks in advance guys.

Matt

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Yea I'd take it soon because once the warrenty runs out you are screwed....

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
hi and welcome. Take it to the dealer and start a Oil consumption log test. I myself is in the process of this test and it is required by Gm before any warranty work is approved.

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Widge,

Intake manifold is a possibility. Have you noticed the exhaust smoke, what color is it?

Keep us updated regarding the result after your dealer visit.

Louis
GM Customer Service

OP
OP
T

The Widge

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Only when I accelerate hard, and it's easier to notice in the dark with someones lights behind me. That's how I noticed it. I'm guessing it's oil with the low oil alert.

Big Bad Allis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with the idea of getting it into a dealer and starting a consumption log. Also just curious why you would add Lucus to a Full Synthetic oil?

Sheriff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are truly burning oil, and it sounds as if you are, keep an eye on your throttle body assembly. It will get sludged with burned oil residue and most likely cause you all sorts of problems, as in a sticking throttle (worst case scenario).

Since the dealership would not clean or replace my throttle body under warranty, I had to do it on my own nickel. I decided to replace the entire throttle body assembly since I have an 18 year kid driving it and the throttle was sticking open on us.

Strange thing though, my Tahoe doesn't seem to be burning oil, but i had burned oil residue all over my throttle body assembly. Weird!

Last edited:

taylorjm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have that variable displacement or whatever they call it when it shuts off 4 cylinders? Or was it in 09 when that came out and every 5.3 seemed to start burning oil after awhile? I'm getting old and my memory isn't that good anymore :shrug:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhrusso925