Oil Level -- can't get good reading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm reading that TSB. I have a 2013, so I should have the good valve covers.
The piston ring replacement, nah. I'll keep buying oil.
Only 1 valve cover is problematic, the driver side.
Install the catch can. It will tell the tale. Mine was catching 1+ oz of oil per 100 miles. That's what stuck my piston rings :(

And like the TSB says: do a piston combustion chamber soak/flush to free up your piston rings. I did it almost 6 yrs and 67k miles ago when the engine had 130k miles. It immediately stopped consuming oil and to this day doesn't.

I still have the catch can installed. Since the valve cover, piston soak/flush work in 2018 it only collects 1-2 oz/5k miles. If it ever starts collecting a lot again I'll know something is amiss.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

the blur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mighty Mouse sells a "hybrid can" setup with a breather. This is getting too complex. It's a closed system, why would I need a breather ?

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mighty Mouse sells a "hybrid can" setup with a breather. This is getting too complex. It's a closed system, why would I need a breather ?

who here said anything about a vented can?

the can everyone uses is 35$ on Amazon and like 15mins to install. do that and see what happens and go from there.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called mighty mouse, and that's the can they recommended. Vented... I figured they are the experts.

what's mighty mouse and why would they be an expert at old worn out stock engines?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukekuhner369