Buy a New 2024 Yukon or Tahoe or wait til 25s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No engine is "flawless". I'm on the other forums too. There are problems here and there, but if you polled the LM2 owners I think you would find that 98% of them are super happy with the product and have basically had no engine related problems.... that's not too bad for a totally new engine design....

There may be some confirmation bias at play there. Hard to know for sure unless there's real data re: LM2/LZ0 vs. L84/L87 failure rates.

I've got a GM mechanic for a best friend that would disagree with that statement based on what he sees come in and come back repeatedly.

You would think that if the L84/L87s were failing at a similar if not greater rate than the Toyota V35A-FTS, they would have a recall and be replacing engines. Are fleet users encountering an alarming rate of failures (ie. across the police fleet)?

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t think that the greater majority of the American population are on truck and SUV forums. I would not base any percentage of what is failing or not failing on forums. I would base it on what the Dealer Service departments and the techs are reporting. If they have eight or ten sitting in service waiting for an engine repair whether it is gas or diesel would be the best indicator.

T Ford

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Great time to buy a new 24. I personally am not excited about the 25s and the dealers near me are motivated to sell their 24s.

Sean Michael

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was waiting for the 2025s, but last week while doing my weekly online browsing of local dealer inventory I found the exact configuration I'd originally wanted back when I started looking for a new Tahoe last year, color and all. It was discounted over $4K and then I negotiated free tint and splash guards on top of the discount. There were no dealer add-ons like nitrogen, etc., at all, so I really did walk out at sticker minus the discount plus TT&L. And the trade value they offered me was fair, not hungry for it like was happening a few years ago, but fair enough.

No regrets. I definitely paid less than I would for an equivalent 2025 if I were to buy one right at release. Besides, I read they are dropping active exhaust on the 6.2s in 2025 along with going to through-the-bumper exhaust. Also, personally, I'd rather have more physical buttons than a larger screen, and it appears in photos that some functions have moved to the screen (I could be wrong, just basing that on looking at pre-release photos). This is my 3rd Tahoe and I have generally bought at or near the end of a model run, hopefully when all the kinks are ironed out.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was waiting for the 2025s, but last week while doing my weekly online browsing of local dealer inventory I found the exact configuration I'd originally wanted back when I started looking for a new Tahoe last year, color and all. It was discounted over $4K and then I negotiated free tint and splash guards on top of the discount. There were no dealer add-ons like nitrogen, etc., at all, so I really did walk out at sticker minus the discount plus TT&L. And the trade value they offered me was fair, not hungry for it like was happening a few years ago, but fair enough.

No regrets. I definitely paid less than I would for an equivalent 2025 if I were to buy one right at release. Besides, I read they are dropping active exhaust on the 6.2s in 2025 along with going to through-the-bumper exhaust. Also, personally, I'd rather have more physical buttons than a larger screen, and it appears in photos that some functions have moved to the screen (I could be wrong, just basing that on looking at pre-release photos). This is my 3rd Tahoe and I have generally bought at or near the end of a model run, hopefully when all the kinks are ironed out.

I'm interested in how quickly discounts on the 2025s will match those of the 2024s after release.

Last edited:

MissFrost

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
One of my full sized GM SUV's had the power steps. (Escalade) Based on my personal experience, if you live in an area of the country that uses salt on their roads, the power steps over time will most likely be affected and seize. Mine were replaced under warranty, but my guess is that unless the design has been modified, it may well still be an issue.
I wholeheartedly agree with this comment!! I previously owned a 2011 Escalade with the power running boards/steps. They liked to freeze up in the winter (Northeast resident) and just seize up at any given time. I ended up turning off the switch so that they just stopped coming out at all anymore. I swore off power steps in any future vehicle after that. Love my 2022 Tahoe RST non electrical running boards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jsanchezz