Can I drop my differential safely with the cv axles disconnected or will my vehicle front end fall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrs111180

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can I drop my differential safely with the cv axles disconnected or will my vehicle front end fall. (Swayber disconnected, cv axles disconnected

1000007740.jpg1000007739.jpg1000007738.jpg

Last edited:

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a spare front diff to swap in, and all the how-videos I've watched in preparation show the procedure straightforward, just heavy.

If the diff weighed 20lbs instead of ~95lbs it'd be an easy job.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
I use a ratchet strap to scrunch the cv axles in after it they are unbolted from the diff.
From there it's a straight drop down using a floor jack.

I have done it more times than I can count at this point. :jester:

R467X

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've dropped mine a couple of times. Couple of suggestions:

Fully remove your CV axles. It'll require you to also take your struts off. Pretty straight forward. Gives you room and saves time when it's time to bring it back up.

There's also a frame bar (sorry can't recall the exact term) sits closer to the back and goes across the middle. Remove that. 4 bolts 2 on each side.

I highly recommend a tranny jack but it's totally doable with a combination of a regular jack stand under the pass side and a regular jack. You might have to move it around it's not going to be a clean drop/bring back up. Ideally a 2 person job.

BattleTank

Reaction score
I've dropped mine a couple of times. Couple of suggestions:

Fully remove your CV axles. It'll require you to also take your struts off. Pretty straight forward. Gives you room and saves time when it's time to bring it back up.
Are you also saying remove them from the hubs too? I've heard this is bad for the bearings.

R467X

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Are you also saying remove them from the hubs too? I've heard this is bad for the bearings.

Yes. You won't damage the bearings by removing the CVs. I just did my AFM delete and had to drop the oil pan. Tried bringing the diff up and ran into fitment issues that eventually required me to remove the CV axles to get the diff in the right spot to bolt on. I guess it isn't necessary but when you're Jerry rigging it up with a jack / jack stand, there isn't much mobility. Just makes it much easier when things are off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vonpat