CV axles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You pull a CV halfshaft out and drive it like that, it will cause a problems. Your hub bearing no longer being loaded and will come apart. Might have to get vehicle up on a lift and hope you can hear where noise is coming from without vehicle weight on driveline.

**Corrected**

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Peeledpeas

Reaction score
How's the fluid in the front diff? Checked the u-joints on the front prop shaft?
I haven't check that yet but it doesn't seem to me that those things would be weight related. If they were making noise, turning while driving would have no affect.

OP
OP
P

Peeledpeas

Reaction score
You pull a CV halfshaft out and drive it like that, it will cause 2 problems. Your hub bearing no longer being loaded and will come apart AND you will start dumping your differential grease out where the stub pops into the Diff axle tubes. Might have to get vehicle up on a lift and hope you can hear where noise is coming from without vehicle weight on driveline.
The inner axle bolts to a flange that is secured inside the front differential. And my initial question was, can I or can I not? If I cannot, I can simply find an outer joint and install it in the hub and torque the nut. That's really all I wanted to know.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There's been some discussion about this in other sections of the forum. Apparently some aftermarket 4wd hubs don't need axle shafts installed, but to be safe you'll probably want to run them. Most hubs need the axle.

@Trey Hardy were you one who commented about this?

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The inner axle bolts to a flange that is secured inside the front differential. And my initial question was, can I or can I not? If I cannot, I can simply find an outer joint and install it in the hub and torque the nut. That's really all I wanted to know.
Oh thats right. Its been awile. Im used to the older style that have a c clip locking them in back in my days of rebuilding transmission. FWD were always a blast..not. Still gotta have that over 100ft lbs of preload on the hub to keep it together. Junk Stub works just fine.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is another one of those urban ghost stories and myths. With plenty of passionate responses from both sides.

I personally would rather have the shaft stubs bolted into the hubs just for peace of mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
berettasr3