Can I drop my differential safely with the cv axles disconnected or will my vehicle front end fall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R467X

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Also don't forget you'll have to disconnect the smaller drive shaft driver side from the diff and there's a vent line that sits up top that'll need to be disconnected too.

BattleTank

Reaction score
I've just head a lot of stories with the S10 group when they remove the CV not to remove the shaft from the hub.

R467X

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've just head a lot of stories with the S10 group when they remove the CV not to remove the shaft from the hub.

I've done that so many times with zero problems when doing suspension work. My diff has been dropped 3+ times for various reasons. I've probably re-done taken things on and off my suspension 5+ times since 2011 between lift kits combos and suspension wearing out. Only replaced hub assemblies twice due to mileage (268k). Just make sure everything is torqued to spec with a torque wrench and torque the cv axle with the wheels on and vehicle on the ground once you finish (also when you bolt them back to the diff make sure you torque them in a star pattern (like you'd torque your wheels)to the diff, can use a screw driver inserted in the rotor for leverage)

Also if you do remove the cv axles, make sure they are completely unbolted/freeish from the hub before taking the strut out. Don't want to hyper extend them, ask me how I know.

But like I said, you don't have to take them off the hub. It just makes things much easier. Especially if you're on your back by yourself.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vonpat