can I upgrade my 03 Tahoe to power folding mirrors with puddle lights ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clemenshess97

Reaction score
Hi folks,

my 2003 Tahoe has the DR4 code on the RPO sticker inside the glove box.

DR4MIRROR,OUTSIDE,RH AND LH REMOTE CONTROL,ELEC,HTD,LT SENS,POWER FLDG HTD R/CON O/S MIR(DR4)

the truck must have had the original outside mirrors replaced, because both of them don't power fold. The driver side mirror has a small hole on the bottom of it which I suppose is for the puddle light, but there is no connector there to plug one in. The passenger side mirrors doesn't have that hole.

1st question: considering that the truck has the DR4 option, can I just buy a power folding mirror with puddle lights and suppose it will be plug&play ?

2nd question: will the puddle lamps only turn on when the car is locked&unlocked (I have perimeter lights turned on in my DIC, but it only turns my headlights&backup lights on) or will the puddle lamps also turn on when I open the door and/or turn the dimming switch all the way up so that the interior lights turn on. I wouldn't want the puddle lights to turn on when I use the dimming switch to turn on just the interior lights.

Thanks so much for helping me out!

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be good if your rig is already wired for them. The puddle lamps usually come on when you unlock the car or when you open it from either side. You’re most likely right that someone replaced at least one of them with cheaper mirrors, thus the one side has nowhere for the light.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Isn't the power folding option DL4? Either way, yes they can be added to a vehicle that never had them--,puddle lights too. Just go to a junkyard and get to one that's already equipped. Grab both mirrors, the master switch and ALSO the passenger front power window switch. I added them to my 03 that wasn't originally equipped and they work flawlessly. Bonus--mirrors also came with turn signals, which also work. It's on my build page somewhere.
Puddle lights also work, and they come out only at night when I hit the key fob.
IMAG1674_418199318662341.jpg20180608_170206.jpg20180608_170221.jpg
Does your master switch have this icon in the mirror control button?20180608_165744.jpg
The correct master switch.

OP
OP
clemenshess97

clemenshess97

Reaction score
Isn't the power folding option DL4? Either way, yes they can be added to a vehicle that never had them--,puddle lights too. Just go to a junkyard and get to one that's already equipped. Grab both mirrors, the master switch and ALSO the passenger front power window switch. I added them to my 03 that wasn't originally equipped and they work flawlessly. Bonus--mirrors also came with turn signals, which also work. It's on my build page somewhere.
Puddle lights also work, and they come out only at night when I hit the key fob.
View attachment 436460View attachment 436461View attachment 436462
Does your master switch have this icon in the mirror control button?View attachment 436463
The correct master switch.

Yes, that‘s how my switch looks like with the icon. I ordered mirrors with the power fold and everything on Rockauto, they were cleared by customs yesterday and will arrive tomorrow. I‘ll give an update once I installed them.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Yes, that‘s how my switch looks like with the icon. I ordered mirrors with the power fold and everything on Rockauto, they were cleared by customs yesterday and will arrive tomorrow. I‘ll give an update once I installed them.
Nice. Lmk if you have any difficulties. I didn't notice you were in another country. I'm sure there's no Tahoes in the junkyards over there!

OP
OP
clemenshess97

clemenshess97

Reaction score
Nice. Lmk if you have any difficulties. I didn't notice you were in another country. I'm sure there's no Tahoes in the junkyards over there!
Germany. And you're correct, there are no Tahoes in the junkyards here, pull-a-part junkyards aren't common here anyway. I usually order parts from Rockauto, Amazon or Ebay but sometimes they don't have the part I am looking for, then I put them on a list and get them from a junkyard the next time I'm in the US. It's a hustle!

OP
OP
clemenshess97

clemenshess97

Reaction score
Just got them installed, it was plug&play and it power folds and everything.
Unfortunately the driver side mirror seems to be shaking/vibrating more than the previous mirror.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Just got them installed, it was plug&play and it power folds and everything.
Unfortunately the driver side mirror seems to be shaking/vibrating more than the previous mirror.
That's the problem with aftermarket mirrors. Some tend to shake while driving. You might have to disassemble and maybe use some silicone or JB Weld to tighten it up.