Changed rear gear ratio anyone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brock

Reaction score
Do not know what my gear ratio is, but I need to change it. I have 35" tires
& my low end power is VERY weak! There are gear kits available, anyone done this ??

mike06train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't done it on a 2007 + model but I've done several trucks. With 35" tires you want to go with at least 4:11 or lower. If you've never changed gears or rebuilt a diff before have it done. it's not real hard if you know what your doing but it has to be set just right. You'll also need a pinion depth tool. remember the rear and front gears have to stay the same.

ChevyFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...remember the rear and front gears have to stay the same.

Yeah, as Mike stated - just remember that if you change the rear, you also have to change the front.

Are you planning on sticking with OEM? I think GM makes 3.42, 3.73, and 4.10 gear ratios.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brock

Brock

Reaction score
Thanks! Do not know how I forgot about the front gears. This will NOT be a driveway project, wiil have a pro do it. I'v got 450++ HP, but from 0 - 25 mph a liquor cycle can keep up!
This truck is my 1st 4X4. The AWD is my main complaint...wish there was a 4WL, but the 6-speed tranny is nice.

Jerden

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I changed mine from 3.42's to 4.10's with 33's. It is like driving a whole new vechicle. If i was running 35's 4.56's would be my minimum.

Honestly if I were to do it again I would run 4.56's with my 33's.

OP
OP
Brock

Brock

Reaction score
Thanks! You have opened it up for MORE ?s tho. Where did you get your parts? How much $$ + install fee. I figured a 411 would be enough, but sounds like I need more from your experience.

One thing I'm struggling with is which chip to buy. Main problem is the speedo/odo is off because of the tire size, but that affects the computer that calibrates MPG +++. My Garmen give me the true speed, but I would like all this info to be correct, right? It's good to know. Now my mileage (skewed)
is 9.0 = 13.0. Sick ain't it? What is your mileage?

Oh BTW sick looking truck!! 4X4 please say yes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jlauto

Latest posts