Charcoal canister purge line

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Chapman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've looked at this thread https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...anister-hose-aka-bane-of-my-existence.149272/ and have a similar problem but mine is not completely clogged. I've been applying compressed air alternatialternating between blowing at the engine or tank end. I've gotten a lot of charcoal out of the tank end but only get a slight burst of carbon powder out of the engine end when applying air pressure and beating on the pipe. I have a good, 180 psi air compressor. I've also poured WD 40 and carb cleaner in from the top and then blown it out the bottom and am not getting a significant amount of carbon; just a slight bit of dust. The liquid will flow out the bottom with just gravity but it is slow and it doesn't take the fluid fast. When I apply air pressure with fluid in the line it blows the liquid out quickly and all I get is a very slight amount of carbon dust. It still doesn't seem like it flows air like I'd expect for a hose/pipe less than 10 feet long even with all the bends. So my question is how much flow is normal? Thanks for anyone that can give me some input.

Last edited:

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if your having issue with the gas pump turning off when filling up, just change the canister tank and blow out the lines. 99% of the time the canister breaks open some pellets fill the lines and that clogs the venting of the tank.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It should flow freely with 30 psi. But @iamdub recommends low pressure and light puffs to break things free. Or a vacuum.

OP
OP
J

John Chapman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It wouldn't fill and I replaced the canister but the lines were clogged so pulled the tank and got them all clean except for the purge line that goes to the valve on the front of the engine. I've gotten some carbon out of it but it seems to be mostly clogged still. I can blow air through it and got some carbon out but it still is mostly clogged.

OP
OP
J

John Chapman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It should flow freely with 30 psi. But @iamdub recommends low pressure and light puffs to break things free. Or a vacuum.

Ive done puffs and hard blows from both ends. Poured some soapy water down it last thing this evening, going to let it set overnights and see if the soapy water helps. Thanks for confirming that it show flow easily.

OP
OP
J

John Chapman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
if your having issue with the gas pump turning off when filling up, just change the canister tank and blow out the lines. 99% of the time the canister breaks open some pellets fill the lines and that clogs the venting of the tank.
It wouldn't fill and I replaced the canister but the lines were clogged so pulled the tank and got them all clean except for the purge line that goes to the valve on the front of the engine. I've gotten some carbon out of it but it seems to be mostly clogged still. I can blow air through it and got some carbon out but it still is mostly clogged.

OP
OP
J

John Chapman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Are the set of new lines enough money to make you spend all this time TRYING to blow the old lines out?
It's only one line and it looks like a pain to replace. Running another line seems to be an option per the link I referenced. I don't understand why it's clogged and resistant to compressed air blowing it out. The carbon came out of all of the other lines easily. The difference may be that they are all plastic while most of the purge line is metal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FBlanco