Charcoal canister purge line

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've looked at this thread https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...anister-hose-aka-bane-of-my-existence.149272/ and have a similar problem but mine is not completely clogged. I've been applying compressed air alternatialternating between blowing at the engine or tank end. I've gotten a lot of charcoal out of the tank end but only get a slight burst of carbon powder out of the engine end when applying air pressure and beating on the pipe. I have a good, 180 psi air compressor. I've also poured WD 40 and carb cleaner in from the top and then blown it out the bottom and am not getting a significant amount of carbon; just a slight bit of dust. The liquid will flow out the bottom with just gravity but it is slow and it doesn't take the fluid fast. When I apply air pressure with fluid in the line it blows the liquid out quickly and all I get is a very slight amount of carbon dust. It still doesn't seem like it flows air like I'd expect for a hose/pipe less than 10 feet long even with all the bends. So my question is how much flow is normal? Thanks for anyone that can give me some input.
Is there an easy way to access the tank end of the vent line without dropping the tank? I used a vacuum to suck out all the pellets but would not advise doing that. I realized later that the fuel fumes could have been ignited by the vacuum’s motor or static electricity from the plastic vacuum hose.

OP
OP
J

John Chapman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is there an easy way to access the tank end of the vent line without dropping the tank? I used a vacuum to suck out all the pellets but would not advise doing that. I realized later that the fuel fumes could have been ignited by the vacuum’s motor or static electricity from the plastic vacuum hose.
I've got the tank out. The line is disconnected at the front of the tank. I tried taping my shop vac onto the tank end and blown compressed air into the engine end to no avail. I presume the charcoal is clogging at the many tight bends the line makes but the plastic lines from the tank to the canister blew out easily and they have tight bends. I'm guessing engine heat has somehow solidified the charcoal in the metal line.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've also used weed eater line to good effect in cleaning out tubing with little chance of damaging the tubing.
im a landscaper, 99% of the time them flex rods are covered in grease......but im sure it would do the job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wbill99hoe