Cheap eBay turbo kits…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimxms

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is anyone running one of these cheap turbo kits on their trucks?

I need to replace my headers and exhaust as they’re rusted out, and for the cost of those parts I could buy this and just run like 4# boost on a small intercooler.

IMG_0687.png

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not that easy. You'll probably have to find a cobalt ss ECM that has the pin out for a turbo. You need the ability for the ECM to see feedback on boost so it can adjust timing and fuel flow.

Maybe I'm all wrong, but that's what I know/have talked to people who have done them.

OP
OP
J

Jimxms

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ah I see, I just assumed that it was like the (slightly newer) camaro’s and corvettes I’ve owned that had ecu’s which could deal with boost.

Maybe there’s a piggy-back ecu solution?

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$714!? That is cheap.. I say throw it on and tell us how it does :)

Maybe a way to program a new MAP sensor?

How does something like a magnussen blower kit deal with it?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not buy a cheap turbo kit, as there is a lot of solid engineering required to produce and fit a quality turbo kit in an aftermarket situation. Several decades ago, I did purchase a cheap turbo kit for another vehicle, and it was a royal PIA to get tuned and to start in the winter. When it worked, it was really exhilarating, but one year later, I developed a hole in the top of 1 piston that you could drop a penny through.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Similar story, I had some chunked some pistons and pock marked melted looking head chamber in an old MR2 I turbo'd.
I had an additional fuel injector computer controlling a couple extra injectors, but it was not setup right and 14psi on a stock motor..
I was expecting to blow it up and swap a real turbo motor eventually... just happened a little sooner than I wanted..
Still have the car, no motor, no LSD trans for it, but I might put a V6 in if I can find a good LSD trans..

In the end, the tuning will make it run right and the turbo is just a blower and plumbing..

Seems like 4psi should be fairly safe with proper tuning. Less boost than your typical supercharger kit?

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To clarify, I am not saying it would be 'easy' to tune, only that the boost level is well below what aftermarket kits are set at..
(apparently the aftermarket kits are not well tuned?) 4psi is 4psi no matter what blower it's coming out of.. (maybe little more or less heat/lag/etc.)

The HPTuners forum has a nice group people that are active, and seem to solve lots of issues for people.. if you decide to take on that project..
I'm curious enough, I probably will have to search through randeez's posts!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bpollard1248