Chevrolet Suburban 3500 Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigburb3500

Reaction score
Hello All,

I recently purchased a 2018 Suburban 3500 and have no clue what I’m dealing with here. I am dangerous enough but as I go through the truck there are a lot of oddities I need help with figuring out.

1) The tow capacity is listed at 3000lbs. This is a non-armored unit and shows a payload capacity of 4700lb. It has the additional cooling capacity with trans and oil coolers and has a class V hitch rated at 10k lbs (factory). What is the actual towing capacity (safely) of this truck?

2) I have looked all over this forum and found all the how-to guides for adding auto-dimming mirrors but this truck seems to have the older model mirrors with just the blindspot built in. The truck does have an interior dimming mirror. Does the internet believe this will support a conversion to DL3 mirrors?

3) I would love vented front seats… has anyone integrated an Escalade interior into a Suburban/Yukon? Or is it better to just grab a set of Denali seats? My truck has memory, power, and heated seats so would all I need is the new seats and the button with the vent feature?

Thank you all and I look forward to any and all information you can provide.

OP
OP
B

Bigburb3500

Reaction score
2018 Chevy Suburban Heavy Duty Package, page 12:
Max Trailer Weight: 3,000lb w/ 4.10 axles

However ...

2018 Chevy Tahoe Suburban Owner's Manual, page 276:
Max Trailer Weight: 8,000lb w/ 3.42 axles
Thank you Marky. I think you might be seeing my question. The 3500 was only rated by GM to tow 3000lbs but that seems appropriate when it’s armored and geared up for govt use. In a non-armored, civilian use what type of towing is possible?
I think your second statement is for a standard Suburban. All 3500s (from the little I found) have 4.10s

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Suburban 3500 was only rated by GM to tow 3000lbs, but that seems appropriate, when armored and geared up for govt use.
In non-armored civilian use, what type of towing is possible?
My 1st 'bid' is 8,000lb, as above; this'd be my lowest 'bid'.
My final bid would not exceed 8,800lb ...
... UNLESS I knew more about the Tow / Haul shift map.
What engine & transmission?

(Don't know anything about mirrors and/or seats, sorry.)

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For towing, I would just say take you gcvwr and subtract your vehicle weight as it will be loaded when towing. Your trailer pin weight will not be an issue with that of high payload capacity.

I think you have the L96/6L90 combination, right?

OP
OP
B

Bigburb3500

Reaction score
For towing, I would just say take you gcvwr and subtract your vehicle weight as it will be loaded when towing. Your trailer pin weight will not be an issue with that of high payload capacity.

I think you have the L96/6L90 combination, right?
Correct. L96/6L90 combo. 4.10 rear with G80.
The GVWR listed in the door jam is 11k. Payload 4740 so I agree with your assessment. The factory tow hitch is showing max 10k - this may be an issue if we decide it can tow similar figure of a gas 3500 srw pickup.

I have been looking around, but do not fully understand how to use GCVWR for towing calculations. Can you help explain?

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It doesn't look like they list the GCWR...

I think the GCWR for that transmission is like 21,000 lbs. Not sure why they don't list it. My understanding is that the drivetrain is adapted from a 3500 SRW truck on that generation, so it's plenty beefy. They probably assumed most of those vehicles were going to get outfitted for something and towing wasn't really a priority for the end user?

Have you weighed the truck? Based on published payload and your sticker GVWR, 6200 lb curb weight sounds a bit low to me, but I may be wrong.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2018 Chevy Suburban Heavy Duty Package, page 12:
Max Trailer Weight: 3,000lb w/ 4.10 axles

However ...

2018 Chevy Tahoe Suburban Owner's Manual, page 276:
Max Trailer Weight: 8,000lb w/ 3.42 axles
Hello All,

I recently purchased a 2018 Suburban 3500 and have no clue what I’m dealing with here. I am dangerous enough but as I go through the truck there are a lot of oddities I need help with figuring out.

1) The tow capacity is listed at 3000lbs. This is a non-armored unit and shows a payload capacity of 4700lb. It has the additional cooling capacity with trans and oil coolers and has a class V hitch rated at 10k lbs (factory). What is the actual towing capacity (safely) of this truck?

2) I have looked all over this forum and found all the how-to guides for adding auto-dimming mirrors but this truck seems to have the older model mirrors with just the blindspot built in. The truck does have an interior dimming mirror. Does the internet believe this will support a conversion to DL3 mirrors?

3) I would love vented front seats… has anyone integrated an Escalade interior into a Suburban/Yukon? Or is it better to just grab a set of Denali seats? My truck has memory, power, and heated seats so would all I need is the new seats and the button with the vent feature?

Thank you all and I look forward to any and all information you can provide.
from what I have seen in the past the mirrors appear to be some kind of modified version of the gmt900 mirrors, I think your options may be limited, if the glass from gmt900's fit then you could maybe add the dimming glass and wire it in if the signal is there at the door switch, be careful with that though because the dimming fluid melts with 12v, it may only require .5 volt for all I know. I just know applying 12v fries the mirror dimming fluid,,,,,,,, tried it once and was pretty disapointed because the oem glass it not cheap.

seats you should be able to just add the seat, wire harness and switch, the harness doctor may have them available

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tahoe nate