Chevrolet Suburban 3500 Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

Bigburb3500

Reaction score

It doesn't look like they list the GCWR...

I think the GCWR for that transmission is like 21,000 lbs. Not sure why they don't list it. My understanding is that the drivetrain is adapted from a 3500 SRW truck on that generation, so it's plenty beefy. They probably assumed most of those vehicles were going to get outfitted for something and towing wasn't really a priority for the end user?

Have you weighed the truck? Based on published payload and your sticker GVWR, 6200 lb curb weight sounds a bit low to me, but I may be wrong.
This link is super helpful by itself. Thank you! My wife and will also be happy to see we have the optional inboard driver/passenger airbag as safety was part of the reason behind getting a newer vehicle (been rocking around in a ‘99 Toyota).

I have not weighed it yet. This truck still has temp tags on it, that’s how new-to-me it is. Comparing the curb weight would be inline with a 3500srw truck at 6400lbs (+/-).

I think knowing the setup is good for 20klbs towing is beneficial. Using published numbers for 3500srw might be the best gauge for real world figures. Your input has been super helpful!

OP
OP
B

Bigburb3500

Reaction score

from what I have seen in the past the mirrors appear to be some kind of modified version of the gmt900 mirrors, I think your options may be limited, if the glass from gmt900's fit then you could maybe add the dimming glass and wire it in if the signal is there at the door switch, be careful with that though because the dimming fluid melts with 12v, it may only require .5 volt for all I know. I just know applying 12v fries the mirror dimming fluid,,,,,,,, tried it once and was pretty disapointed because the oem glass it not cheap.

seats you should be able to just add the seat, wire harness and switch, the harness doctor may have them available
Thank you for the personal experience… I may try this and look into it further. I will keep you posted if it do. Might be helpful information to all the other 3500 owners out there. Seems to be a plethora of us clamoring for the info lol.

Thank you for the info on seats too - this will likely be the first major upgrade. Rear ends deserve venting too.

gtrslngrchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a hard time picturing a 3500 Suburban at only 6400lbs but maybe it's that light because it isn't a Duramax? I know my crew cab short bed Duramax is well over 7000lbs but it's a foot longer I suppose.

OP
OP
B

Bigburb3500

Reaction score
I have a hard time picturing a 3500 Suburban at only 6400lbs but maybe it's that light because it isn't a Duramax? I know my crew cab short bed Duramax is well over 7000lbs but it's a foot longer I suppose.
Your confusion is the reason for my presence here haha. I am not sure when I will have a chance to do it but I will try to hit a scale at some point to get real world numbers.

BacDoc

Reaction score
I have always had GM vans with V8 and I always had 2500 except for my first van that was 1500. The 2500 has better bigger brakes and suspension parts and the 3500 should have that minimum. I tow boats mostly on double torsion axles that go between 6k-8k lbs. The V8 2500 series always towed these loads no problem so I don’t see why a Surburban 3500 would have less tow capacity.

OP
OP
B

Bigburb3500

Reaction score
I have always had GM vans with V8 and I always had 2500 except for my first van that was 1500. The 2500 has better bigger brakes and suspension parts and the 3500 should have that minimum. I tow boats mostly on double torsion axles that go between 6k-8k lbs. The V8 2500 series always towed these loads no problem so I don’t see why a Surburban 3500 would have less tow capacity.
Thank you BacDoc for the reply. I am also looking for boat towing duty with this truck. I did not buy it to fit the tow duty but rather “perfect storm” purchase. I am hoping we can all come to an internet consensus that tow rating it more in the 13-14k range… you know everything you read on the internet is correct and valid. One might even say “peer reviewed” lol.

Cheers.

OP
OP
B

Bigburb3500

Reaction score
So, you'll be upgrading the hitch, then?
Marky, you seem to be asking the questions right before I get to them! I was looking online last night for new hitch units and there are none online that are made for the 3500 Suburban. I will have to upgrade it, but may need to go to the local trailer dealer and have them take a crack at it. I have been analyzing DuraburbInc’s YouTube video showing a frame tear down. I cannot tell if this is an upgraded previous gen 2500 suburban chassis or if it’s the shared chassis from the Silverado 3500.

calsdad

Reaction score
I've spent a decent amount of time in the past analyzing what the true towing capability would be for my 2010 GMC Yukon XL 2500. I went component by component trying to see what the differences were between what was in the Yukon vs what is in the 2500/3500 GM trucks of similar vintage - and comparing the rated tow capabilities out of the GM brochures.

I think you could take a similar approach to your 2018 3500.

For instance, somewhere on Youtube is video by the guy at Duraburb about the frame used under the 3500 Suburban. He basically says: it's the same exact frame that is under the 2007-2013 2500 Yukon XL/Suburbans and the earlier generation 2500 Yukon XL/Suburbans.

The 2000-2006 2500 Suburbans had the 8.1L big block engine option - and with the right gear ratio - that truck was rated to tow 12,000 pounds. So the way I look at it is: that frame is rated to tow 12,000 pounds (at least). - with the right hitch on it.

Now look at the brakes - you can figure this out by going part number by part number and seeing what brakes are on the 2500/3500 trucks vs what is on the 3500 Suburban. I would be willing to bet that there is no difference there - so your truck's brakes are going to be good for whatever tow rating that the comparable year 2500/3500 pickups are good for.

I think the 2500/3500 gas pickups have the 6.0L engine. So look at the tow ratings in the GM brochures are for that engine - in combination with the gear ratio. If you look at the brochures they'll give the tow ratings by engine/gear ratio - and body style. The heavier body styles - have a slightly lower tow rating. Compare those weights against whatever the listed weight is of your 3500 Suburban - and you can probably get a pretty good estimate of what a "factory" tow rating would be for your truck if it wasn't designed to be up-armored.

I would also bear in mind that - you can enhance the tow rating by upgrading components. For instance: I installed a set of the Wilwood huge brakes on my truck because at one point I was commuting with it in rush hour traffic and almost rear ended people a few times.

If I had to take a wild guess - I can't see the towing capability of your truck being any less than the previous generation 2500 Yukon XL/Suburbans - which is like 9700 pounds.

calsdad

Reaction score
Marky, you seem to be asking the questions right before I get to them! I was looking online last night for new hitch units and there are none online that are made for the 3500 Suburban. I will have to upgrade it, but may need to go to the local trailer dealer and have them take a crack at it. I have been analyzing DuraburbInc’s YouTube video showing a frame tear down. I cannot tell if this is an upgraded previous gen 2500 suburban chassis or if it’s the shared chassis from the Silverado 3500.

The Duraburb guy said it was the same frame as the previous generations 2500 SUVs used with some slight differences.

As far as hitch goes - I put a 16K rated hitch on my 2010 Yukon XL 2500 by building a semi-custom hitch for it - using the center section from a B&W hitch for a similar vintage Sierra/Silverado - and then made "custom" end plates to adapt it to the Yukon frame. I had a 2003 Suburban 2003 prior to this truck - and bolt on hitch upgrades were available for it which bolted right up without a problem. If I remember correctly nobody makes anything for the later year SUVs because of the rear bumper design.

I can post pics if your interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tahoe nate