Chevy Tahoe Mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zygocrybiate

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Im seriously considering putting on a new intake manifold and a hot cam in my 5.3 tahoe, im just wondering what the benefits and downsides of modifications like these would be. Im hoping to increase the power without impacting the mileage to bad, one or 2 mpg isnt a big deal. From what i can gather, the manifold will increase power and mpg, from the better air flow, and the cam will increase power as well. But how does it impact the mileage?

Danzigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just get a black bear tune and save the time and effort. They are vendors here check them out.

NaomiSays

Hot Tamalé!
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Im seriously considering putting on a new intake manifold and a hot cam in my 5.3 tahoe, im just wondering what the benefits and downsides of modifications like these would be. Im hoping to increase the power without impacting the mileage to bad, one or 2 mpg isnt a big deal. From what i can gather, the manifold will increase power and mpg, from the better air flow, and the cam will increase power as well. But how does it impact the mileage?

I wouldn't do that in a big truck like your Tahoe. You'll be throwing away 50-75 ft pounds of torque down low and almost all the power you gain is at 6000+ rpm.

Yukonboy2014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm seriously considering putting on a new intake manifold and a hot cam in my 5.3 tahoe, i'm just wondering what the benefits and downsides of modifications like these would be. I'm hoping to increase the power without impacting the mileage to bad, one or 2 mpg isn't a big deal. From what i can gather, the manifold will increase power and mpg, from the better air flow, and the cam will increase power as well. But how does it impact the mileage?

Just do the swiss cheese mod on your stock airbox. Nearly the same airflow increase there as a $250 system and its free...

I put a glasspack on my yukon and have noticed that it breathes better now, and has a little more power. After a BB tune, possibly an aggressive one, you will be set to go.

vjr021

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, has anyone ever properly modded your vehicle before?

Are we really giving out advice like "just chop up your air box, it's the same as an intake kit."

And "don't install an intake and cam, you will loose torque, and all your gains will be over 6000 rpm?"

Damn, I might have to second guess coming back on this forum...

First of all, before you mod, you need to decide what you want to get out of the changes.

A quality cold air intake, properly planned cam, and the right intake can make the right power you are looking for.

I suggest find a local shop that has a good reputation and discuss cams with them.

Don't cheap out on an intake, get a KN or GM performance. Nothing with a metal tube.

And get a second opinion.

Wow guys, you should be ashamed.

Big Buttons

The SS Burb
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Intake, Exhaust, If you have a clutch fan swap it out for electric fans, Corvette servo, Blackbear Tune and you will be happy.

If you want more after that:

Long tubes, cam, hardend pushrods, possibly valve springs, lifters, stall and you will be really happy.

I have pretty much everything done that I mentioned and I gained about 100whp over stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crow