Clunks into gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im thinking mine is about to need this done. What kind of vibration were you having on the highway? Ive got a vibration on the highway that has been there for a while and I cant figure it out nor can the shop. I mostly feel the steering wheel vibrating or shaking. Only thing that hasnt been done would be to replace the steering box or pitman arm.

DREADMAN109

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Im thinking mine is about to need this done. What kind of vibration were you having on the highway? Ive got a vibration on the highway that has been there for a while and I cant figure it out nor can the shop. I mostly feel the steering wheel vibrating or shaking. Only thing that hasnt been done would be to replace the steering box or pitman arm.

It would only vibrate at 75MPH...the vibration would run all the way through the truck...below and above that speed...nothing...

---------- Post added at 02:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 PM ----------

yo blue.... you said something about a press? I need to get this done in my truck and I suppose I never gave any though as to what tools are needed? Anything special, I have all the standard issue tools

I just used and heavy hammer and socket that fits into the hole where the joint is. It might be wise to get a little WD40 and spray them before you get to beating on them...Ole School...(if you can't find someone the press)

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
yo blue.... you said something about a press? I need to get this done in my truck and I suppose I never gave any though as to what tools are needed? Anything special, I have all the standard issue tools
any standard bench press that is large enough to fit it in there.

kickitandholdit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my older tahoe would randomly start vibrating and only did it at sertian speeds it seamed like but i replaced the torque converter and it drove like new

dwmmatt23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive got this same thing with clunk going into reverse and a squeel from rear that goes faster as truck goes faster, also squeel goes away when you apply the brakes. found this and was glad as it sounds like this is my problem but got under truck and tried to move shaft to see if there was any play but it was as tight as can be no play at all. Any suggestions or other ways to check?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
humbertoltx