Coil Replacement… They should be ashamed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
The dealership just called. Yuk was in for a fouled plug that they had recently replaced and bad motor mounts (which I would not attempt on my own$1081.00) They said they took it for a run and said he noted a slight hesitation and that it needs A coil replaced then told me….. Are you ready…. You have to replace all 8….

$1253 and they are back ordered for 3 weeks.

I can get an entire set for around $200 no back order and put them in myself in about 20 minutes. I KNOW because I’ve already done it!!!!

They should honestly be ashamed of themselves for giving me that price!!! I laughed and said nope.

Where do they come up with this shit???? Seriously!!!

I just ordered a set of 8 off Partsgeek for $108. Even if they last 30,000 miles and I have swap them out again I’m WAYYYYYYYY ahead of that insanity.

Last edited:

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's pathetic.......and they wonder why people call them Stealerships. My conscience is too clean to run a business that way, but man if I ever change my tune, I can make some good cash preying on the uneducated/uninformed motorists.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What was the reasoning that you had to replace all 8 coils? When I am working on vehicles here, I give an option but I would have recommended all 8 but would never say you "have" to. I do insist on a quality part or I will not replace it. I get them the part at my cost and have discounts at dealerships/stealerships and parts stores and parts warehouses. They are not ashamed in the least. That is the dealer OE parts at a premium price and a labor rate that is likely close to $200 an hour and them charging tax and hazardous materials and shop fees and paying a union tech high wages.

Another reason why I do what I do here at home and I stay busy.

OP
OP
17 Yukon Denali
Reaction score
He noted a hesitation after the spark plug swap even though the misfire condition went away with the fix. They didn’t even offer the option to replace 1. I can say that I did still feel the hesitation. $108 is an easy and SHIT TON cheaper way for me to find out if it is indeed a faulty coil. That’s less than 1 hour of their $149 an hour labor charge. Ludicrous, just ludicrous.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
He noted a hesitation after the spark plug swap even though the misfire condition went away with the fix. They didn’t even offer the option to replace 1. I can say that I did still feel the hesitation. $108 is an easy and SHIT TON cheaper way for me to find out if it is indeed a faulty coil. That’s less than 1 hour of their $149 an hour labor charge. Ludicrous, just ludicrous.
So, a hesitation warrants a diagnosis of one bad coil bud needs all 8 coils? So could a dirty throttle body.

"They didn't even offer the option to replace 1". They said one was bad but we will only replace 8?

No CEL and hesitation went away with the coils replacement?

OP
OP
17 Yukon Denali
Reaction score
I’m hoping they checked the throttle body. I took it off, cleaned it and did an IAC relearn the other day trying to solve the issue .Yep, they said to replace all 8. I haven’t replaced them yet. New coils should be here in a few days. Hoping it goes away, if not I’ll find somewhere else to bring it if I can’t figure it out.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I’m hoping they checked the throttle body. I took it off, cleaned it and did an IAC relearn the other day trying to solve the issue .Yep, they said to replace all 8. I haven’t replaced them yet. New coils should be here in a few days. Hoping it goes away, if not I’ll find somewhere else to bring it if I can’t figure it out.
Ok, so I am a little mixed up. You stated you have already "done it", referencing the 8 coils install. But now you say the coils are ordered and not installed yet. I am a trained tech and certified and know a little bit, but I don't think I can remove and replace all 8 coils in 20 minutes and work around some of the stuff in the way. No doubt that you can do it in 20, I just don't think I can, but I am 71 years old too.

I would be inclined to clean the MAF and MAP.

OP
OP
17 Yukon Denali
Reaction score
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I Replaced them once already. Not recently. Cleaned them MAF and MAP as well. Stealership was last stop. I exhaust all my knowledge and abilities before farming stuff out. I didn’t put those stupid plastic covers back on that cover the coils and plug wires when I replaced them last. Personally I think they retain heat on the coils and engine itself. So when you open the hood they are looking right at ya. I’ll let you know when they’re done and exactly how long it took.

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Why would you not ask about replacing only one?

joe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukekuhner369