Common issues on 05/06 GMT800s?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

devnull

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm helping a friend shop for trucks, and we've settled on the 05-06 model years. I don't know whether it'll end up being a Tahoe, Yukon or Escalade. Personally I'm partial to a particular 06 Escalade that has the LQ9 (6.0) and hydroboost brakes. What are some of the common issues that one would face with one of these trucks at 80k miles? What about at 100, or 120k? I'm not talking regular ole "wear items", but rather, things that are clear systemic manufacturing defects or common deficiencies with these trucks.

I've got a 99 Yukon, and they have their quirks, like the bad wiper control boards for example. So I'm trying to inform myself on what to expect from the GMT800 series trucks in general.

Big Buttons

The SS Burb
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing is particular, every vehicle is different but it depends on previous maintenance. At 80K the motor isn't even broken in. I bought mine at 63K and now have almost 90K and haven't had a major problem.

ltdan

Reaction score
Stepper motors in gauge cluster going out, bulbs too. Blend door for rear heat seems to be fairly common as well.
Both of those are issues that I have with my '05, that some searching on the interweb indicates are fairly common.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

devnull

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It looks like GMT800s also suffer from issues with corroding brake and fuel lines, particularly in northern states. I live in the south and we don't see much snow, so I'm not so worried. Have any of you had to mess with brake/fuel lines on your GMT800?

OP
OP
D

devnull

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Another question.. Hydroboost. I've noticed that all the Escalades and Denalis in the 2005/2006 model years, seem to have Hydroboost. I also found it on a bastard Tahoe LS with the cloth interior. Any idea how many of these GMT800s in the 05/06 year are going to have Hydroboost? Is there any rule of thumb as far as which trucks have it?

z0lt3c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awd Front diffs like to eat themshelf.
Transmission valves like to get stuck.
Blown autoride shocks and compressor
Steering linkages
Oil leaks from cooler
Ps pump lasts about 80k
Tsb for steering shaft
Rusted brake lines
Headlines aspirator

In general the escalade/denali will be much more expensive to maintain vs the tahoe/yukon.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

DCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check edmunds.com for more info.

TheLexusFlexes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In general the escalade/denali will be much more expensive to maintain vs the tahoe/yukon.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

z0lt3c, at the risk of somewhat hijacking this thread, can you tell me what you've had to do to your 03 Escalade, and how many miles you have? I just bought an 06 with 64k miles.

As for mine, the only issue I can identify is a very slight miss at idle, which could be anything. Prior owners were an elderly couple, and I've had no contact with them, so not sure if they ran good gas. I'll start by running two bottles of Techron, and replacing the fuel filter, figuring it's original. We'll see where that gets me.

z0lt3c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
z0lt3c, at the risk of somewhat hijacking this thread, can you tell me what you've had to do to your 03 Escalade, and how many miles you have?

I pretty much had to do everything in the list I posted earlier. I bought the 03 Escalade about 3 months ago, it had 80k miles and a service history of only basic maintenance. Here are some more details from my project post in another forum;

Serviced @ Chevrolet Dealer--
Replace Oil Cooler Lines @ $305
Replace power steering pump & refill fluid $370
Replace Mass Airflow Sensor $400
Replace front rotors $260

After that experience, the only way to keep this cost effective was to use a private mechanic that does work for me around $40/hr. The below list of parts was installed for about $400 in labor

DTD wheels/tire package $700
Dorman 949000 air suspension compressor $200
Arnott AS-2127 Bilstein rear air shocks $325
Strutmasters GM-SUVF1-CE front shock conversion kit $200
DAPARTS steering linkage kit (tie rods, pitman/idler arms) $105
Energy suspension poly strut bar bushing and end links $35
GMpartsdirect OEM intermediate shaft w/ new hardware $65
GMpartsdirect OEM interior aspirator (x2) $24
Cadillac OEM Blank key cut by local locksmith $17
ebay Key fobs $20
Multiple alignments $200
Fluids $150 (diffs, tcase, engine oil)

And this still doesn't consider the interior work I am planning to do with new carpeting and seat covers. Granted, perhaps that is a little overboard.

I don't like to add it all up I just like to drive it.

Matt06Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my 06 Yukon SLT with about 80k. Have about 143, 000 now with nothing major the whole time. Rear hvac blend door has not worked, I am never confident that I'm gona get the correct actuator for it so I just switch it twice a year. All heat or all a/c, literally takes me 10 mins. I had to replace the rear hatch lock actuator. Easy to do but $250. That's it besides tires and Mobil 1 oil changes every 5000 miles. Just put new Cooper CTS's on. I also have a new set of Ac delco iridium plugs to put in. Otherwise extremely dependable like all my GM trucks.

Edit: I have also swapped out the four door speakers with aftermarket ones. With the Bose sub and factory amp, the system rocks.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ne44035