Common issues on 05/06 GMT800s?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheLexusFlexes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't like to add it all up I just like to drive it.

That makes two of us!

A couple of follow-up questions if you don't mind, which (I think) are relevant to the original post:

1) Your mass-airflow sensor, 10 years and 80k miles is a little soon.. what necessitated replacement? Did your truck have an oiled aftermarket air filter or something? I know dealerships love to replace them instead of just cleaning them with carb cleaner or something. Did they not offer you that option?

2) 80k seems like a little soon to need a new steering linkage.. in fact I would have put my money on ball joints before that (just because these trucks are so big and bulky - maybe the balljoints were just replaced prior to your ownership). Any idea what necessitated new linkage? Are you running 22s or larger, for example?

3) I guess you wouldn't know how the ride used to be with good reliable air shocks on the front, if you just replaced them.. but how do you like the ride w/ conventional shocks?

and slightly off-topic, but while we're at it..

4) What kind of seat covers are you looking at? The ones from TheSeatShop.com seem to be a favorite around here, but I'm not sure how closely they match OEM in color/feel/etc.

Thx!

z0lt3c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The previous owner of my vehicle drove it very little in the past 2 or 3 years, storing it outside. I don't know how much that contributed to these problems. I also live in NJ so salt corrosion from winter roads and outdoor storage need to be considered.

1) Your mass-airflow sensor, 10 years and 80k miles is a little soon.. what necessitated replacement?

CEL light came on first around 79,900 miles for the PO, he took it to an indy shop they cleaned it and reset the CEL. No CEL when I bought it at 80,000, but the CEL came back around 80,100 while I was driving it home. Took it to Chevy because I wanted an official diagnosis, in case it was something worse (I also suspected odometer rollback but thats another story). They bench tested the MAF and it was no good. I got way overcharged for the replacement, could have done this much cheaper myself.

2) 80k seems like a little soon to need a new steering linkage..

When I did the standard steering linkage test, that is car lifted, hands at 3 and 9 on the tire, shake back and forth, there was tons of play in the wheel. Also the steering felt like it was floating left to right and back as you drove it. Upon inspection the outer tie rod ends and pitman arm all had bad ball joints. I just decided to replace everything since the labor isn't much more once you pull tie rods & pitman plus the required alignment. The upgraded intermediate steering shaft is nice upgrade too boot. It tracks perfect now after finding the right person to align it.

The suspension ball joints on the UCA and LCA were actually in good shape and did not need any service. Wheel bearings where also fine. Vehicle was kept completely stock w/ OEM 17" chrome wheels and standard tire sizes. All the rear ball joints where also OK.

3) I guess you wouldn't know how the ride used to be with good reliable air shocks on the front, if you just replaced them.. but how do you like the ride w/ conventional shocks?

The front shocks are electrically dampened gas pressure shocks. The rear shocks are both electrically dampened and air leveled. At 80K the front shocks where blown from the bottom cylinder welds and the rear air bladders had completely ruptured, air compressor was also shot.

My solution eliminated the front electrical dampening but kept the rear system features. I like the way it rides so much, I wish I would have just converted all 4 corners and saved the considerable expense of the OEM air compressor and now very expensive sensors. I have owned a 03 Yukon Denali with a functional factory system, so I have some basis for comparison. There is, no question, more body roll w/o the front electrical dampening. Also the vehicle stability does not improve at higher speeds (it doesn't lower at 55), it simply stays the same. But overall it's a little stiffer and still very comfortable. (I like to say it rides like a Tahoe now)

4) What kind of seat covers are you looking at? The ones from TheSeatShop.com seem to be a favorite around here, but I'm not sure how closely they match OEM in color/feel/etc.

For the past few projects I have used Katzkin seat cover products and have been very satisfied with the results. You can check out their website for options, they are near limitless, but even the most basic option is high end and fits well. I also like that you can choose a non-factory color. Every once in a while these pop up on ebay for very reasonable prices.

TheLexusFlexes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The previous owner of my vehicle drove it very little in the past 2 or 3 years, storing it outside. I don't know how much that contributed to these problems. I also live in NJ so salt corrosion from winter roads and outdoor storage need to be considered.

Indeed. As you started to describe the steering issues, I could just picture the linkage picking up salt, corroding, displacing grease, etc. And that's good to know about Katzkin, I wasn't aware they ever showed up on ebay.

One final question, you mentioned stuck valves in the transmission. Did you have issues with that, or is that something that was revealed by research?

I should have also said - my own research consisted mostly of reading reports on Truedelta that owners have filed on their 05 and 06 Yukons and Escalades. I haven't been able to form much consensus about common deficiencies with these trucks, which is what prompted all the curiosity on my part. One thing I can tell you hands-down, you've had about 2.5 times the number of issues that were reported by the average owner on Truedelta for 05/06s.

Doyle Marshall

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Anyone get a "service stability system" message? The whole dash is lit up with warning lights, and the dealer wants to replace the whole hub ($600+)!

scoobyxj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another question.. Hydroboost. I've noticed that all the Escalades and Denalis in the 2005/2006 model years, seem to have Hydroboost. I also found it on a bastard Tahoe LS with the cloth interior. Any idea how many of these GMT800s in the 05/06 year are going to have Hydroboost? Is there any rule of thumb as far as which trucks have it?

IIRC 04 and up have hydroboost master cylinders. Standard across all trim levels, and all versions of the GMT800 SUV (and probably truck) platform. Really There isn't much change from 04 through 06. 04's still had a mechanical fan on the 5.3, and have the old analog OnStar system (that's no longer supported). I think 05, and 06 got traction control, and stability control as standard equipment.

TheLexusFlexes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Your URL doesn't work. Perhaps you can link to the thread so that the rest of us know what you're referring to?

---------- Post added at 03:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 AM ----------

IIRC 04 and up have hydroboost master cylinders. Standard across all trim levels, and all versions of the GMT800 SUV (and probably truck) platform. Really There isn't much change from 04 through 06. 04's still had a mechanical fan on the 5.3, and have the old analog OnStar system (that's no longer supported). I think 05, and 06 got traction control, and stability control as standard equipment.

Thanks! That's helpful, as I'm in the market for an 04-06 currently.

---------- Post added at 03:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 AM ----------

Anyone get a "service stability system" message? The whole dash is lit up with warning lights, and the dealer wants to replace the whole hub ($600+)!

When you say "hub" do you mean the instrument cluster? Or a computer (Powertrain Control Module, Body Control Module, etc)? Or do you literally mean one wheel hub?

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Literaly one wheel hub... The link is to search results for the word "stability "

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your URL doesn't work. Perhaps you can link to the thread so that the rest of us know what you're referring to

Sorry, I searched "stability" and was trying to provide you with a list of responses. The search feature here is actually very good - I'd suggest using it to find out what previous owners have done when they had the same problem. I haven't experienced it myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhrusso925