Computer re-flash, updating....dealer charge item?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking over the receipts from a local GMC dealer I have used on my 07 Suburban. I see that on a recent service visit, they charged me for ECU(computer) re-flash, updating. Maybe it's just me, but I thought GM always directed dealers to re-flash any vehicle that came thru the service drive. Have others here seen that become a customer pay item?

Had I known it was customer pay, I would have told them DON'T bother with the computer re-flash, and left the GM factory programming in there, even though GM has an update for my vehicle.

Mechahead

Reaction score
Unless the vehicle is still under warranty or the flash is part of a recall, flashing is a customer pay item.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't the customer be able to make the choice where to update or not? was the customer even informed? sounds like charging for unauthorised repairs to me.

OP
OP
M

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, in the past it was my understanding that GM came up with these updates to improve the vehicle and that GM insisted on them being flashed into the vehicle any time it was in a GM dealer for service. With GM insisting the vehicle be re-flashed, it was not customer pay. As livingez implied....if GM constantly updates the program, that would ensure a constant income source for any GM dealer, and cost the customer money. In that case, all updates should be declined as customer pay. I've owned many GM vehicles since the early 90's and this was the first time I've ever been charged for a computer re-flash.

I guess we should chalk this up to the new GM(Government Motors) vs. the good old GM of years past. Sad really......

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My deal does not charge for the actual update itself, but for the labor

When I had my 04 Colorado updated there was 25 VCN updates needed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968