Console Vault

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

metalemt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alrighty folks seeing if anyone has purchased a Console Vault (link below)
I'm looking to possibly get one, and was wondering if anyone else has experience with them. I just sent a email to the company because one of the things that I want to know before I buy is will I still be able to access the iPod/USB port and 12 volt plug in the console after it's installed. Not sure about anyone else but if I lose my iPod it's a deal killer. But it would be nice to have a safe place to lock a gun and keep my iPod safe.

http://www.consolevault.com/chevrolet-tahoe-floor-console-2007-2011.html

BrianB

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have one and really like it. It does not have a hole for the USB port but the company may fix that if you ask. They are pricey but made very, very well. It would take quite a bit of effort to break into. You may be able to get a 90 degree USB cable and run it down the bottom or something. There is a little room to work with.

OP
OP
metalemt

metalemt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the response I got pretty much what you were saying.

Our model #1011 will fit your Tahoe, this is one of the few models where the ports are blocked by the vault. Many of our customers have used an "extention" cord that fits the USB port and it can be run into the vault or simply placed on top, as far as the power port there are others located in the truck.
The extention is available at Radio Shack.
Thanks
Tom

OP
OP
metalemt

metalemt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I know it does but I'm a gadget lover and I like the integration

G17GEN4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I looked into one of these, but honestly, I can't justify the cost.

When you break it down, mathematically speaking, it's just a poor investment - unless you're keeping a very expensive watch (or something similar) locked in your console. I'd be buying it to protect $550 worth of valuables.

Essentially, I'd be spending $269 plus shipping, let's call it $285, to protect a piece of property worth $550.

When you factor in the statistical chance of my vehicle being broken into, it's just an incredibly poor decision when you run the probabilities in relation to the cost. Then there's the fact that you lose all use of your center console unless you want to lock and unlock the thing every single time you go in and out of it.

While not as secure, I'm having a separate key made for my glove box and I use that for securing valuables. It's enough to protect the stuff from valets or service people, and would be enough to keep a thief from quickly snatching something in a smash and grab scenario.

Oh, BTW, they do make one that allows access to your USB port:

http://www.mobilesecurityplusstore.com/Console_Safe_2007_to_2012_GM_p/ld2011a.htm

Last edited:
OP
OP
metalemt

metalemt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome I hadn't seen that new one, probabilities are wishful thinking here the top broken into vehicles are Hondas and gm trucks, plus I like to leave my iPod and occasionally my gun in my truck

OP
OP
metalemt

metalemt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And console vault is based out of Vegas so I can just pick up rather than ship

G17GEN4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Awesome I hadn't seen that new one, probabilities are wishful thinking here the top broken into vehicles are Hondas and gm trucks, plus I like to leave my iPod and occasionally my gun in my truck

Fair enough, although it still doesn't make mathematical sense to spend nearly $300 to secure a $150 iPod in the event that your car is broken into, something that has a low statistical likelihood of occurring. Even if you were storing a $600 handgun in the truck, it still doesn't make sense. You're already shelling out half the cost of replacing the handgun on the console vault. Probabilities are not "wishful thinking", they are statistical facts.

Now, if you were storing a firearm that was passed down from your great grandfather, that's a different story. Something like that can't be replaced, but I wouldn't advise anyone to leave something like that in their truck in the first place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968