Converting LQ4 for E85

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

amaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking to buy a 2003 Silverado 2500HD with 6.0l LQ4. Since gasoline prices are sky high here, I thought about converting it to run on E85. Any experience about this conversion? Do I need anything else besides ECM reprogramming? Sensor to fuel line/tank that senses mix of gasoline/ethanol? Or does the ECM sense it via Lambda-sensors?
I know that I can't run on only E85, so it is mandatory that the ECM can adjust to different mixes of gas/ethanol.

Thanks in advance (though this forum isn't for Silverados, but so many Escalade/Yukon/Suburbans have LQ4 engines)

deadringer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think that it should be possible to retune it for E85 and it will run - thats the easy part.

The hard part will be to make sure that the rest of the system can handle E85 vs gasoline to make sure that you won't have issues after some time...

My understanding that many GM trucks built after 03 were E85 ok - but they didn't necessarily try to get it to work with E85 for a long time

So it may cost more money than its worth to do the conversion

M3PO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really a pointless idea to try. While e85 is cheaper at the pump you lose so much power and gas mileage it ends up being more expensive than just using normal pump gas.

http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/e85-vs-gasoline-comparison-test.html

Agreed, the 2002 Z71 I used to have was a flex fuel, and the mileage wasn't worth the savings. Here in the Midwest, E85 isn't much cheaper than reg gas, but I do notice the OP is in Finland so maybe E85 there is cheaper. Either way, it would have to waay cheaper to justify the conversion. Probably better off selling and buying a Flexfuel or a more efficient vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52

Latest posts