Coolant Drain Plug on Block...2012 / 5.3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize the back starter side was 8mm. that's good to know.
Yeah. I was trying to think what would be in the way with the engine on the vehicle. I think the starter and the crank sensor connector need to be removed to access that one.

And I guess the large, 17 mm one is that large because it serves dual purpose: drain plug and block heater.

I guess I didn't realize (until now) these engines no longer have those older style "freeze plugs" or I guess technically core plugs. There's only a small one that style on the front near the pump, and gets covered by the front timing cover. All the rest are threaded. I like threaded.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or used to remove the temp sensor plug on top of the intake.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've actually had really good luck replacing things like water pumps and radiators on these trucks. Never had issues with air getting trapped. The way they designed the coolant system is pretty good (but I admit I really don't know how the system works with those little crossover pipes and all.) I just run the heater and air seems get released somehow on it's own.

Not long ago I replaced the thermostat on my wife's 3.6 pentastar minivan. After replacement, I couldn't get heat into the cabin. Had to watch a few YT videos and you have to open a bleeder to get the air out of the system on the thermostat. And the coolant that spills out does so directly on the belt, so soon afterwards the belt had to be replaced because it started chirping....

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow ! A kit just for one socket. Oh well ...maybe I'll make one....a piece of bar stock...a grinder and a stiltson wrench. What could go wrong ??? ha ha ha......thank you.

I found a bolt and nut that fit that plug (5/8" head maybe?). I welded the nut to the bolt, inserted it into the plug and used a socket and ratchet to turn it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScottishJeff

Latest posts