Coppery shiny particles in engine oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChazMan

Reaction score
'03 6.0L Escalade with 80,000 miles.
I just did oil change yesterday and I noticed some coppery color shiny particles (very fine powder like), on the bottom of the drain bucket as I was pouring old oil into anther jug. I would say about a 1/4 teaspoonful of them. Maybe some bearing material like main bearing? I bought the Esc with 74000 miles and this was the 2nd oil change since. I didn't see anything like that on the 1st change at 77000 miles.

Is this a common thing/problem on this engine?
Should I ditch this Esc before it gets worse?

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the motor making any noises or acting in anyway abnormally?

OP
OP
ChazMan

ChazMan

Reaction score
No, the engine doesn't make any noise or act anything unusal. I've done lots of engine oil change on lots of different types of vehicles like boats, quads, bikes, even on my Bobcat tractor but this was the first time I ever saw that kind and that amount of shiny fine metal particles. It's so fine that I could barely feel between my fingers. And I am pretty sure the drain bucket was clean before I used it. I will drive another tank of fuel (which will be really quick!) and drain the oil and see what I find. But if you have any guess or input, let me know. Also, I will send out the old oil (I saved some) to a chemical spectrum lab and have them analyze it ($ per test). I just don't feel easy about the particles. Right now a hybrid SUV looks really tempting.

Last edited:

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be getting that checked out asap. If you sell it, that is fine but I'd be as up front as possible with the potential buyer as to the issue that way they don't get surprised. At least that's how I've always sold my vehicles in the past so that they couldn't come back to me saying that I didn't tell them about some issue that wasn't already there... :shrug:

First step, though, is to get it diagnosed to find out the real issue and how much $$$ it'll cost to fix.

greenhornet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Copper in the oil means the bearings have worn through the first layer and it is going to get expensive,oil pressure will drop or the bearing may spin in the rod or mainbearing which really suck big time.

ILLEGAL REGAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
options

rebuild/reman
sell
price a motor swap with another used motor
or find a shop and have them slap new bearings in

5.3's you can find all day complete with decent miles for under $800, I'd look into a motor swap or new bearings as the cheapest route

andrew383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like bearing material...
Change the oil again and see what comes out..Also cut the filter open and see whats inside...
FWIW i always have shiny/flakes in my catch can....Ill get a pic of whats in my can..

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
options

rebuild/reman
sell
price a motor swap with another used motor
or find a shop and have them slap new bearings in

5.3's you can find all day complete with decent miles for under $800, I'd look into a motor swap or new bearings as the cheapest route

putting a 5.3 in place of a 6.0 would be hard for me to swallow personally. I don't like to go down in performance and could kill any resale he'd have in his Escalade in the future! Just my 2 cents....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52

Latest posts