Cracked Dashboard

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoe3232

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We own a 2007 Tahoe - purchased new from a now closed Chevy dealer.

This past February we got in our Tahoe and noticed a crack in the dash above the steering wheel (odometer) that was several inches long. We were shocked!

Because our dealership was closed during GMC's realignement, I emailed chevy explaining the issue and asking for guidance. A man named Alfred called me back and discussed the issue. He told me everything was still under warranty and all I needed to do was take it to the nearest Chevy dealership and let their service people take a look to determine if it was a flaw in the material or caused by normal wear and tear.

A few weeks later I took off work and had my dad meet me at the dealership and give me a ride back to work. When my dad walked up to the car and took a look, be noticed another small crack on the passenger's side of the dashboard! Now we had two cracks.

I met with the service person, but when he looked up the VIN # on the Tahoe he told me it was not under warranty. I told him that Alfred at Chevy told me it was ..... So I returned to work and tried to get in touch with Alfred. I emailed and left a message. It was weeks later when I had a message on my phone from Alfred (we were hiking on the Appalachian Trail when he called on a weekend and left a message). So I once again called Alfred and had to leave another message. I did not hear back so I sent another email.

In the mean time the crack is growing in length, threatening to come all the way across the dashboard. Also, it is the month of May and I have not been able to get a resolution to the problem and we are leaving for (driving to)Disney World in June. So I contacted a friend at a used car dealership who had a man that did dash repairs and asked him if he could look at mine. I carried the Tahoe to the repairman, he worked his magic, and ... the next morning the dash pulled apart and we were right back where we started from.

I forgot to say one thing: We store our Tahoe in a closed garage when not in use. We treat all our cars like babies.

So I send another email/call to Alfred and Chevy simply asking again if the dash is under warranty or not. A week or so later I get an email from someone at Chevy that includes this:

"... Again, I have reviewed your Service Request ********** with the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center. I support the decision that was previously made and communicated to you by your GM/Chevrolet dealer. We here at the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center rely heavily on a dealership's service department to provide our customers with any type of diagnosis, and to find out, in your case, whether the cause for the problem in your vehicle is normal wear and tear or not.

"I apologize that the decision was not in accordance with your wishes, however, this is the final decision of General Motors and we will no longer address additional communications on this subject. Please feel free to contact us again with any other concerns you may have outside of this issue."

Notice they said they supported the decision of the dealership inspection that resulted in their declaring my dash problem normal wear and tear. The fact is that no one ever inspected the dash! All they told me was that it was not under warranty, but I told them Chevy said it was under warranty.

Secondly, though they never answered my question, Chevy has decided to no longer communicate with me over this problem and to accept the dealership's conclusion. Again, the dealership had no conclusion about the dash because they never inspected the dash!

I replied to the latest email asking them to whom I could appeal. This is rediculous. And, by the way, there were many emails between us and I never got an answer. The above quoted email is just one of many.

Can anyone send me contact information for the "big boss" - region manager or someone - for the southeastern states (Alabama)?

timjohnson22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dash was cracked in the same area. I took it to the dealership for another issue and a tech told me that the dash is under warrenty and I could get it fixed. He said that alot of dealerships will try to turn you away because it takes so long to fix. I would take it to another dealership try a GMC dealership.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helmetgurus